Brahman Heifer question

Help Support CattleToday:

southalberta

Reaction score
Have a Brahman X heifer 13 months old about 650 pounds tiny compared to the angus. Vet came out and preg checked. Got her looked at to make sure she was okay inside Vet said "uterus and cervix were tiny" if it was an angus cross or a dairy cow she would have thought free martin.
I was not planning on breeding her until June but wondering if this could be an issue in future.

Anyone heard of this or have experience or this normal?
No Brahmans really up north this far hence vet not being helpful

southalberta":2y4sg8af said:
Have a Brahman X heifer 13 months old about 650 pounds tiny compared to the angus. Vet came out and preg checked. Got her looked at to make sure she was okay inside Vet said "uterus and cervix were tiny" if it was an angus cross or a dairy cow she would have thought free martin.
I was not planning on breeding her until June but wondering if this could be an issue in future.

Anyone heard of this or have experience or this normal?
No Brahmans really up north this far hence vet not being helpful

Got a picture? Some thing is wrong to me. Maybe your Brahman cross is more like a miniature zebu cross?

I saw some great looking Brahman cows advertised online one time. They looked really good. When I got there they were like #800. It was like miniature Brahman cows. The thought was actually appealing but every one I talked too said they had never seen or heard of any that small and to stay clear.

Brahman cattle are generally pretty good size animals.

No experience with straight bred Brahmans, but have several crossed. The heifers we have and have had have all been similar and in most cases bigger than the Angus and Hereford contemporaries. As far as pelvic measurements they are almost always some of the largest measurements. One time the vet commented that one of the heifers was so big inside that she could have a baby elephant. Like someone else said it sounds like their is something more maybe she was a stunted early in life or perhaps a miniature. Could just be the individual though, we have to cull a heifer or two each year that don't quite make the pelvic requirements, and on occasion we will have one that the vet says isn't developed.

Sounds like could be a mini zebu cross... And even for a cross, expecting one to be bred at that size and age, way to soon. Brahman are slower to mature..some zebu types can take two years...slower to breed, but have longer production years...a good American grey/ British cross..will """should"""be ready at 15 Months..and cycle even earlier...I'm sure trying to develope one in Alberta can be challenging..and knock her back some...

I'll try and get a picture of her later today.
To be clear was Not trying to get her bred she was just exposed for a few days and was making sure there wasn't any surprises.

Zebu cattle come in different sizes, there is a mini zebu then there's a zebu which gets a little bigger than the mini zebu. Sounds like she might be a zebu cross instead of Brahman cross.

Pictures hopefully attached. She is butterball fat. Like over inflated beach ball with legs.

(Bought 2 at auction other very very wild haven't seen for 2.5 months was bigger than angus/angusx for her age . This one total opposite follows you around smaller.

[image][/image]

[image]56[/image]
[image]55[/image]
[image]54[/image]

I just spoke to southalberta, she was out of the bucking bull stock that he brought her at the sale.

Brute 23":kqhlhwjn said:
Im not so sure you don't have some kind of Corriente or LH cross there. Its hard to even see any Brahman in her at all... maybe 1/8 or 1/4 at the max. Its really hard to put that color pattern on a Brahman cross.

I will agree with this post. There might be 965 different breeds in this heifer. At the end of the day, does it even matter what her breed compilation is..? If the owner likes her, I like her, and wish him or her well. :clap:

Gators Rule":199q9i4o said:
Brute 23":199q9i4o said:
Im not so sure you don't have some kind of Corriente or LH cross there. Its hard to even see any Brahman in her at all... maybe 1/8 or 1/4 at the max. Its really hard to put that color pattern on a Brahman cross.

I will agree with this post. There might be 965 different breeds in this heifer. At the end of the day, does it even matter what her breed compilation is..? If the owner likes her, I like her, and wish him or her well. :clap:

You are right. If it suits them, it just tickles me plum to death. :tiphat: (One of my favorite movies) :)

Brute 23":179cmi4d said:
Gators Rule":179cmi4d said:
Brute 23":179cmi4d said:

You are right. If it suits them, it just tickles me plum to death. :tiphat: (One of my favorite movies) :)

I was just wondering what to expect primarily
Her internal anatomy is like a 6-7 month old angus heifer. She is viable to get bred vet figured 6-8 months to get to that point.

Regardless she chased a coyote 1/2 mile away couple days ago which is great for the fall calving cows

Latest posts