Brahman F1's

Help Support CattleToday:

J. T.

Reaction score
To produce Brahman F1 replacement females, is it better to breed Brahman bulls to British cows or British bulls to Brahman cows or is there a difference? I live in northwest Alabama on a farm with KY 31 tall fescue grass that is endophyte infected. Brahmans are not as susceptible to the toxins produced by the endophyte as British cattle are. Therefore, should I use Brahman females and breed them to a British bull?
J. T.

Because of the difference in calving ease between using a Brahman bull over british I'ld go with the Brahman cows and a british bull.
Concerning the high endophyte fescue, if you can get a good clover component interseeded into it you would be surprised on how well any cattle will do.

dun

dun":3c682qhj said:
Because of the difference in calving ease between using a Brahman bull over british I'ld go with the Brahman cows and a british bull.
Concerning the high endophyte fescue, if you can get a good clover component interseeded into it you would be surprised on how well any cattle will do.

dun

I agree on the cross but get ready for the rodeo, I ran the tigers for years whole different set of rules for those girls.

I agree also.. Brahman cows and British bull. Unfortunately Brahman cows are higher than British cows, probably because they are used so much in this equation.

If you run a Brahman bull on British cows, you have a much higher risk of calving problems. We've tried it both ways and found this to be true.

8) I use English bulls on my f1brahma cows and have a lot of luck. The only thing I havent experienced is the rodeo. I rotational graze all my cattle and they are all very quiet and easy to handle. Once you know how to handle brahmas you will always carry a brahma influence in your herd.

I always loved the brindles there is something about the cross you end up with more than your share of nut cases. Brahmans are dog gentle so are the Herefords. Penning could be interesting to say the least, great mamma cows just to many loose screw cases.

I have pretty much only raised Brahmans with a fleeting flirtation with Brahman-Hereford F-1's. Kept some F-1 heifers we raised through their first calf. So my experience with Brahman cross cattle is very limited.

Would appreciate someone explaining to me the special handling required for F-1's. What makes them difficult? Their intelligence and survival instincts? Isn't that why they are desired? They can take care of themselves and their calves, that is what makes them such great mother cows. So they act like a animal that can take care of themselves and their offspring and this is considered difficult. Seems like what makes them good works against them. Anyway I am confused, someone explain to me the special handling requirements.

:???: :???: :???: :???: :pretty:

cherokeeruby":1ieocgy7 said:
I have pretty much only raised Brahmans with a fleeting flirtation with Brahman-Hereford F-1's. Kept some F-1 heifers we raised through their first calf. So my experience with Brahman cross cattle is very limited.

Would appreciate someone explaining to me the special handling required for F-1's. What makes them difficult? Their intelligence and survival instincts? Isn't that why they are desired? They can take care of themselves and their calves, that is what makes them such great mother cows. So they act like a animal that can take care of themselves and their offspring and this is considered difficult. Seems like what makes them good works against them. Anyway I am confused, someone explain to me the special handling requirements.

:???: :???: :???: :???: :pretty:

Ruby not trying to start a war here I found the F-1's extremely intelligent you either penned them all or none, and they tended to get worked up a lot easier than the Brits. Great mamma cows but their was always one smelling a rat at penning time. Price at the salebarn and age moved be away from the girls. I had some that would follow you in the trailer. Seems like everytime I culled the nut another one would step up to take her place. Just my expierence with the Tigers.

Not real sure what they are talking about myself. Yes Brahman cattle tend to be a little "high headed" but once they are gentled down they are great animals. The F1's are no different. They don't require "special handeling" you just have to know what you are doing. Brahman cattle are smart and they WILL call you bluff so you'd better know what your doing if you are working with them.

Campground Cattle":1tcwvu0p said:
dun":1tcwvu0p said:

dun

I agree on the cross but get ready for the rodeo, I ran the tigers for years whole different set of rules for those girls.

i'll second that one... they can make it hard on you.. i cull for disposition, but have broken that rule with the tigerstipes because they raise such a good calf.

yep, i have some that are very gentle too, but seems like there are always a few that are nutty.

jt

jt":6891tobh said:
Campground Cattle":6891tobh said:
dun":6891tobh said:

dun

i'll second that one... they can make it hard on you.. i cull for disposition, but have broken that rule with the tigerstipes because they raise such a good calf.

yep, i have some that are very gentle too, but seems like there are always a few that are nutty.

jt

Its great you love your Brahman/crosses. The cross tends to be nuts running in range conditions. Again many an oldtimer has tried them and dropped them for good reason. If they were the cure all everyone would be runnin them. There is no perfect or better breed. There is only the better breed for your operation. Run what you like life is short.

Someone else touched on the subject a few posts back as far as handling F1's or Brahmans... but if work and pen them in a group instead of singly (hmm.. is that a word??) they are much easier to handle. We rarely haul or work one head.. we always put a "buddy" in with her. You'd be amazed how much difference it makes.

TSM
The F1's are no different. They don't require "special handeling" you just have to know what you are doing.[/quote]

Before you start attacking that people don't know what there doing.
There are lots of knowledgeable cattlemen on this board that do know what there doing, and the F-1's are different that is the reason the Brafords never caught on either to many nuts in the breed.
Herefords and Brahmans are both gentle cross them and the nuts appear.

We quit brindles a good while back because there are so many fools in that cross. They raise a great calf but they're not worth it in my book.

Craig-TX

TSM
The F1's are no different. They don't require "special handeling" you just have to know what you are doing.

Before you start attacking that people don't know what there doing.
There are lots of knowledgeable cattlemen on this board that do know what there doing, and the F-1's are different that is the reason the Brafords never caught on either to many nuts in the breed.
Herefords and Brahmans are both gentle cross them and the nuts appear.[/quote]

Wasn't meant as an attack on anyone. Sorry you tok it that way.

I prefer Brahman-Simmental cross as replacements and than an English breed. Brahman bull to Simmental cow if you prefer less ear use a Nelore Bull
J. T.":2573km52 said:
To produce Brahman F1 replacement females, is it better to breed Brahman bulls to British cows or British bulls to Brahman cows or is there a difference? I live in northwest Alabama on a farm with KY 31 tall fescue grass that is endophyte infected. Brahmans are not as susceptible to the toxins produced by the endophyte as British cattle are. Therefore, should I use Brahman females and breed them to a British bull?
J. T.

Campground Cattle":1psbvo3a said:
dun":1psbvo3a said:

dun

I learned that when you move the Brahman cross cattle you do better to lead them rather than try to drive them. They will follow you anywhere but if you try to drive them throught a gate they will go everywhere except through the gate, even over you.

Yes this is very true. Some can be very gentle to. My son has a few brahman cows that might hurt you tring to lick. Guess it is how it is raised in some cases.

you have to stay calm and be patient, that is hard for me but it pays in the log run. like raising kids. i start getting mine up a few days before and i shut the gate and let them calm down. i have some angus that are harder to load than my 3 and a 1/2 year old braford bull. he jumps right in the trailer.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We quit brindles a good while back because there are so many fools in that cross. They raise a great calf but they're not worth it in my book.

Craig-TX

Grandad put Brahmans on commercial cows in the early 70's. One (brindle) tore out at roundup and grew off. Same one crushed in the drivers door and other parts of his 69 Ford truck more than once while he was checking the cows. Us kids were told to stay out of the pasture. Grandad had him shot and processed. Steaks weren't fit to eat. He went back to Angus bulls.

Latest posts