Brahman cross heifer long long springing time

Help Support CattleToday:

southalberta

Reaction score
Have a Brahman cross heifer is 1/2 Brahman 1/4 angus 1/4 Corriente has been springing for approx 5 weeks now. (Bagging, loosening up hind end, has had bloody mucus last 3 weeks)

Is this normal to go on this long ? Have zero Brahman experience my other heifers once this starts is like a 2 week process at most. Noticed one yesterday and popped a calf out this morning

Will add pictures as soon as I can she is overly friendly so do not get to see the back end often

They will spring for a long time, I've seen many breeds bag for a long time. If the mucus seems clear, I wouldn't worry and just wait.

Mucus is clear with a bit of blood. Back parts are loose (like damn near can jump in there) but not swollen

I had one like that and I was so concerned I took her to the vet. A heifer of course. He palped her and said everything is fine but did give her some Lute to get to get her started. She had a tough time with a pretty big calf but got it done. I checked the calf and it was okay. She was wore out and didn't get up for a hour or so, so I moved the calf around to her head where she could go ahead and clean it off. Brahman seem to start showing a lot earlier than other breeds.

This heifer is bred to a longhorn bull with average BW of 75pounds hopefully that's easy at least for her main concern is she is so damn gentle she might not have much heart to push

Incidentally today is day 280 from breeding. Last year this bull only had 31 calves 28 bulls average at 292 days

Finally got a picture ish today. Yellow snotty tonight but been like this since Jan 7

Latest posts