Brahman cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

Chuckroast33

Reaction score
Do Brahman cattle have troubles birthing? I am comparing calving ease of five different cattle species for college homework, and I cannot find the answer anywhere.

brahman cattle are knownw to be easy calving. have you check the association web site. go to the home page of cttle today and scroll down past Q&A and find associations.

Chuckroast33":nh1vhjw8 said:
Do Brahman cattle have troubles birthing? I am comparing calving ease of five different cattle species for college homework, and I cannot find the answer anywhere.

"Breed of dam effects on dystocia and birth weight do not
follow a consistent pattern, except for Zebu-influenced
females. Data from many sources clearly demonstrate that
as the percentage of Zebu breeding increases in the dam,
birth weight and dystocia decline. In Cycles I, II and III
at MARC, Brahman- and Sahiwal-sired F1 dams exhibited
assistance rates of only 1 and 2 percent respectively,
compared to a range of 7 to 17 percent for 14 European
breedtypes."

Pure bred Brahman cows have less than 1% calving difficulty from my experience. We have only had to have one calf presented normally pulled due to size during almost 20 years of raising them.

Here is a good link I found:

http://web1.msue.msu.edu/msue/imp/modaa/e1611921.html

Been breeding Brahman cattle for 35 years now. Have had two difficult births in that time. They are very easy calvers. They calve easy to Hereford, South Devon,Gelbvieh,Charolais,these are the breeds we have used over Brahman.
Pure Brahmans have very small calves that grow quickly.
We join our South Devon heifers to Brahman and South Brahvon with virtually no problem apart from any unfortunate malpresentations.
Colin

I am close to your part of Missouri, and while I have no greivence with Braham Cattle the buyers really discount around here for a lot of ear.

You can breed a brahman cow to a mack truck. and she will spit out a toyota. the only problem i ever had thank God was one that had it head turned backward malprecentation. i bred mine to hereford & simm.no problems.

cherokeeruby":160p26kn said:
Chuckroast33":160p26kn said:

"Breed of dam effects on dystocia and birth weight do not
follow a consistent pattern, except for Zebu-influenced
females. Data from many sources clearly demonstrate that
as the percentage of Zebu breeding increases in the dam,
birth weight and dystocia decline. In Cycles I, II and III
at MARC, Brahman- and Sahiwal-sired F1 dams exhibited
assistance rates of only 1 and 2 percent respectively,
compared to a range of 7 to 17 percent for 14 European
breedtypes."

Pure bred Brahman cows have less than 1% calving difficulty from my experience. We have only had to have one calf presented normally pulled due to size during almost 20 years of raising them.

Here is a good link I found:

http://web1.msue.msu.edu/msue/imp/modaa/e1611921.html

Cherokeeruby, Do you or anyone else know if Dr. Harlan Ritchie is still Judging cattle shows or has he retired?

Latest posts