BRAHMAN BULLS

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Why do so many of you say the cows have a harder time calving being bread to brahman bulls. I would have figured it the other way.

Brahman cows will have smaller birth weights than continental or british breeds. I run the same bull on my Simmentals and my Brahmans, and there's as much as a 25-30# difference in birth weights.

I used a Brahman bull years ago on a group of Limi cross heifers and didn't I'd ever have another unassisted birth. It was a train wreck big time.

The hybrid vigor and rapid growth it entails starts in the womb in Bos Tarus cows. The calf is bigger at birth causing the calving difficulties. I understand that for the most part mature cows that have had a calf or two generally don't have trouble.

If you breed a bos tarus bull to a brahman cow the calf will not be any bigger at birth than one she would have with a brahman bull, there may be a few pounds but not enough to matter. For some reason that scientist at Texas A&M University have not figured out how a brahman cow regulates the size of the calf in gestation. The hybrid vigor starts after the calf is born. Some say it is a reduced blood flow to the uterus.

bobby22":1vdu1hzu said:
Why do so many of you say the cows have a harder time calving being bread to brahman bulls. I would have figured it the other way.

I can't take this anymore. Cherokeeruby.... what is your avatar? All I can think of is bug splat on the windsheild. straighten me out.

As far as gestation and birth size, you are right. It is the braham influence in the COW that regulates calf size. That may be why tigerstripes are in such demand.

It is the Crab Nebula, it goes with my location "somewhere in space and time" I changed my location when I learned in was impolite to as someone their location.

:nod: :nod:

The hybrid vigor and rapid growth it entails starts in the womb in Bos Tarus cows. The calf is bigger at birth causing the calving difficulties. I understand that for the most part mature cows that have had a calf or two generally don't have trouble.

If you breed a bos tarus bull to a brahman cow the calf will not be any bigger at birth than one she would have with a brahman bull, there may be a few pounds but not enough to matter. For some reason that scientist at Texas A&M University have not figured out a brahman cow regulates the size of the calf in gestation. The hybrid vigor starts after the calf is born. Some say it is a reduced blood flow to the uterus.

Correct!

cherokeeruby":1qytd6nr said:
It is the Crab Nebula, it goes with my location "somewhere in space and time" I changed my location when I learned in was impolite to as someone their location.

:nod: :nod:

Well it's not polite to be nosey, glad to see you agree with privacy, never know is lurking on the internet.