Brahman Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

bubchub

Reaction score
I have to trade bulls because my Brahman bull I have right now wont breed the cows. I went to look at the bulls that the man (the guy I bought my current bull from) had that I could trade my bull for. I liked two of them. One had spots, the other was solid red. Is the one with the spots worth less money :?:

bubchub":x3pwtw6e said:
I have to trade bulls because my Brahman bull I have right now wont breed the cows. I went to look at the bulls that the man (the guy I bought my current bull from) had that I could trade my bull for. I liked two of them. One had spots, the other was solid red. Is the one with the spots worth less money :?:

The Brahman is worth less money period at the salebarn unless your running a terminal cross operation on Herefords or Angus cows.

Caustic Burno":1p4wry4c said:
bubchub":1p4wry4c said:
Both of them are registered Brahman bulls. i am breeding them to hereford and angus cows.

I would sure have my reservations on a spotted anything to bring decent money at the salebarn.

I was just wondering. The spotted one was just speckled on his neck. I had heard that spotted ones were kind of misfits and nobody wanted them. Just wanted to know if that was true.

An American Red Brahman can have spots and still be an American Red Brahman and not an American Gyr. From what I gather from the previous posts he has spots on his neck which is most likely mainly on his dewlap. This is quite common and does indicate some Gyr in his background but as long as his body type fits Red he is a red. He may be worth less or worth more than the solid red bull. Depends on confirmation, his pedigree, etc.

If I saw the papers on the bulls I could hazard a guess on which one was better. But better is also subjective. Better for what, my purebred operation? A cross bred operation? Does the bull possess traits I need in my herd? Does he possess traits I don't what in my herd. What are dams like, can I take a peek at their udders? Feet?

But to sum up a speckled neck on a good brahman bull does not make him less worthwhile, solid red is preferable but not set in stone.

TSM.. I don't think that's a very objective response.

If you're talking about a few speckles on his neck, and he's the better bull for what you're wanting to produce, I would still consider him. Maybe you can use that to your advantage in negotiating with the breeder!

The speckles, like Cherokee mentioned, are no doubt from a past relative that has "Gyr" influence. I still have speckled Brahmans in my herd, and they are very very good cows. Excellent teats and feet / legs, and their calves rarely have spots themselves, if bred to a solid colored bull.

For commercial use they are fine but the speckles (in grey Brahman) are not an idea breed characteristic and "can" hurt them in ther show ring.

txshowmom":3r55lmo5 said:
For commercial use they are fine but the speckles (in grey Brahman) are not an idea breed characteristic and "can" hurt them in ther show ring.

What percentage of the brahmans go in the show ring, unless you are talking about the local auction barn show ring.

la4angus said:
txshowmom said:

What percentage of the brahmans go in the show ring, unless you are talking about the local auction barn show ring.

These are actual numbers from San Antonio Livestock Exposition, 2004.

102 hd. Brahman in Junior Show
190 hd. Grey Brahman in Open Show
146 hd. Red Brahman in Open Show
(Not counting International Red Brahman Show)

mobetter11":3r6shjin said:
la4angus":3r6shjin said:
txshowmom":3r6shjin said:

These are actual numbers from San Antonio Livestock Exposition, 2004.

102 hd. Brahman in Junior Show
190 hd. Grey Brahman in Open Show
146 hd. Red Brahman in Open Show
(Not counting International Red Brahman Show)

The question was What percentage of the brahmans go in the show ring, unless you are talking about the local auction barn show ring."Not what are the actual numbers from San Antonio Livestock Exposition, 2004.

Then why don't you investigate the percentage for all of us and let us know. I'm sure it would be very interesting to know the exact percentage.

mobetter11":15vxd4ff said:
Then why don't you investigate the percentage for all of us and let us know. I'm sure it would be very interesting to know the exact percentage.

The statement made was
txshowmom":15vxd4ff said:
are not an idea breed characteristic and "can" hurt them in ther show ring.
and I asked what percentage of brahmans go in the show ring. If you, or anyone else are going to make a point please define.
Personally I have more to do and could care less than investigating how many brahmans go in the show ring. Shoiwmom set herself up as being an expert on the show ring maybe she should know without much research.

Sorry my topic caused such a problem. Thanks for all of y'alls comments. We sided with the solid red one. He is 18 mo. and he scored 90% on his fertility test. Here is a picture of him. I would like to know what y'all think of him.
47017136lg.jpg

47017168lg.jpg

Latest posts