Brahman bull maturity

Help Support CattleToday:

docgraybull

Reaction score
At what age (usually) are registered Brahman bulls mature enough to use for breeding? I've been told that they tend to mature late. Is this true? Make the assumption that they are in good condition, have been supplemented appropriately, etc.

We don't guarantee a Brahman bull to be breeding age until 18 months. The average is 16 to 18 months. They do mature later, as do the females, but also have a longer productive life than non Bos Inducus breeds.

docgraybull":qbpn66nu said:
At what age (usually) are registered Brahman bulls mature enough to use for breeding? I've been told that they tend to mature late. Is this true? Make the assumption that they are in good condition, have been supplemented appropriately, etc.

We don't put ours with the cows untill they are 18 months.

Thank you for the input. At what age should I be concerned that they may be able to breed i.e. definitely keep them separated to prevent unintentional early breeding?

docgraybull":33v0h7v2 said:
Thank you for the input. At what age should I be concerned that they may be able to breed i.e. definitely keep them separated to prevent unintentional early breeding?

12 months