Brahman Bull Maturity

Help Support CattleToday:

TxCoUnTrYbOy

Reaction score
I have a question about brahman bull growth and maturity. Most of you know that my bull is pretty small for his age, 20 months. My question is, is it possible that he may be a late bloomer and not hit that stage yet? The reason I ask is that Ive always thought that when they hit maturity, they get that extremely short coat of hair, and my bull still has pretty long hair (for a brahman). All of the other bulls his age lost that long coat already.

Thanks for the help.

Actually, I"ve never heard of them losing a "long hair coat" at maturity. I've never noticed that on any of my Brahmans

Generally a Brahman bull will be breeding age at 16-18 months. But remember, a Brahman won't get to his mature size until 3-5 years.

Have you ever seen any spurt up this late? Lots of people have said he is a really good looking bull just too small. A couple people have said he would make a great breeder, just too small for showing. I will continue to show him whether he is a good show animal or not, just because I like to show. Im just curious if he will always be small or if theres a chance he might shoot up one day.

Another thing to keep in mind... especially with Brahmans.

Show animals in my opinion are not necessarily what you want in your pasture. I don't care for the tall "rafter butted" Brahmans that are so popular in the show ring. My Brahmans are moderate framed and BEEFY. Which is more important for me, especially since I cross breed.

Thanks for the info. Do you think he will grow enough to be close to the same size as what he will show against?

Also I know there will be some judges that will like him over others. People have said that younger judges tend to favor beefy animals and older breeder judges tend to favor breeding characteristics. I wont give up that easily.

I have a 2 year old bramer bull and he is still growing. he is tall but lean. he is a very gentle bull, this will be his first year to father calves and so far he has done great.

Thanks for all the responses. I forgot to add one question to that. Yall that have raised brahmans for a long time, have you ever seen something like that before, where the animal doesnt grow much until really late? Or even seen a bull that just doesnt seem to grow? Just wondering if anyone has ever seen that in their years of experience.

don't worry country boy,your bull will probably do much better when turned out than many of the bulls that have beaten you. Listen to bull lady she sure knows what she's on about as far as Brahmans go.
Just keep loving what you are doing.
This year is the thirtieth that I have been showing. Started showing my Brahmans in 1975 and my South Devons in 1990.
Colin

Latest posts