Brahman breeders...

Help Support CattleToday:

Proverbs 12:10

Reaction score
I have a group of yearling(14-16 months) heifer brahmans that I would like to AI. I plan to breed at 2 years old. I have yet to see any signs of heat from any of them. I had thought because they mature later than european breeds that they had not begun to cycle yet. Then a friend who breeds them told me they may only show signs at night and maybe for only a short period of time. What should I expect?

dun

Reaction score
Put K-mars on them or one of the other heat deecting devices, or go cheap and just paint their tail heads.

dun

Beefy

Reaction score
brahmans are sneaky like dun says. they may not be sexually mature yet though. sometimes some brahmans may be 2 before they cycle. you dont hear of many people AIing brahmans either.

txshowmom

Reaction score
First of all, LOTS of people AI Brahman cattle. Second, dun is correct they are very clever and will usually cycle when your not watching them. I would paint stick them if I were you. Last, they should ALL be cycling by atleast 16 months. It's true they are late maturing but anything that is not cycling till 2 year needs to go in my opinion.

TheBullLady

Reaction score
We raise Brahmans, and I may have a few that are "sneaky", but I can generally catch any of them in heat. They tend to "run" the bull more than the Simmentals do, so I can generally tell the Brahmans are coming in heat.

Having said that.. I have had heifers that didn't cycle until they were 18 months old.