Brahma or Hereford bull which would work better

Help Support CattleToday:

Newcutter

Reaction score
I just purchased a set of black cattle that aren't carrying any ear. I was wondering what bull would work better on them either a Hereford or Brahma bull? I live in east Texas don't know if this matters much.

Even where I'm at, a lot of the older cattlemen say the best cows they ever owned were Brahma cross. The dock is just too bad here, would probably be ok with 1/8 in the cows and put straight English/Continental over them, but not easy to maintain over the years without a steady supply of females coming in from somewhere.

If you plan on retaining or marketing heifers , I would consider polled Hereford or Brangus in Texas. Then use the other breed on the heifers to make super baldies. Love my super baldies .....both heifers and steers.

You kind of painted yourself in a corner with the "black cattle with no ear". Not sure I really see any benefit to a Brahman bull. If you wanted F1s you should have bought them from the start then built from there.

Based on that a composite like Braford or Brangus would put a little ear back on your cows and not cause too much damage at the sale barn.

With that being said, since you already have no ear on the cows just go Angus or Heredord and leave the ear out completely.

I just purchased a set of black cattle that aren't carrying any ear. I was wondering what bull would work better on them either a Hereford or Brahma bull? I live in east Texas don't know if this matters much.
Are they English cattle?
If so Brahman will give higher birthweight and an anomaly of behemoth bull calves.
This pdf is from a TAMU short course and has some great reference.

Latest posts