BRAHMA CROSS

Help Support CattleToday:

BRYANT

Reaction score
What do you all think of Bra. cross cows for momma cows ? I had some and their calves would out grow the Angus and limmo every time. I know lots of people think if its not black don't own it!! But I am breeding all my cows to a full Brahma then I am going to breed the hefiers back to black angus that will take away lots of the ear and the bra cross cows give lots of milk plus they will be up hussling when everything else is laying under a shade chewing their cud.

i see nothing wrong with that cross at all.alot of people run f1 brimmer cross cows.an they do raise good calves.alot of guys around here used to go hogg wild over brimmerstein crosses.an they would pay high an wide for them.i know of 1 of my friends running brimmerstein cows with a brimmer bull.

BRYANT":j8ou3iuc said:
What do you all think of Bra. cross cows for momma cows ? I had some and their calves would out grow the Angus and limmo every time. I know lots of people think if its not black don't own it!! But I am breeding all my cows to a full Brahma then I am going to breed the hefiers back to black angus that will take away lots of the ear and the bra cross cows give lots of milk plus they will be up hussling when everything else is laying under a shade chewing their cud.

I think if you like Brahman cows, that's what you should have. But the steer brothers of the heifers that you plan to breed to black Angus will take a giant hickey at the sale barn.

Welll i'm as far north as anybody-i've fed out some BrahmaX cattle that wouldn't buck they did just fine. Got some pretty good looking 1/4 Brahma heifers we'll probably keep as cows. We don't sell any live but they do ok on the rail.

BRYANT":3103gs1o said:
Might want to read this.
http://www.thecattlesite.com/articles/8 ... eef-cattle

I don't like brahman crosses kept for breeding because they lose the hybrid vigour. After the first cross the progeny is never as good as the original.... But maybe it's different for established brahman x breeds

aussie_cowgirl":28qpyj5d said:
I don't like brahman crosses kept for breeding because they lose the hybrid vigour. After the first cross the progeny is never as good as the original.... But maybe it's different for established brahman x breeds
that true to a degree,, but the reason cattleman want the replacement is for the heterosis the F1's performance that'' will show up in the third cross in extra pounds

BRYANT":fmurlimz said:

What breed of cattle do you presently own that you intend to breed to the brahamn?

i like brangus cows and baldie's with some ear, but i like to breed them to angus bulls to take some of the ear off of the calves.
i'm in west texas and i don't care what other people say
if your calves have too much ear, you will be docked...maybe not a lot but some
i think part of the reason is the black calves that show brahma influence will not qualify for cab.

but in my opinion a brangus cow is hard to beat

cross_7":3dnnn5f8 said:
i like brangus cows and baldie's with some ear, but i like to breed them to angus bulls to take some of the ear off of the calves.
i think part of the reason is the black calves that show brahma influence will not qualify for cab.

me too

I run reg. Brahman and Simmental cows, and run a reg. Simmental bull on all.. including the 1/2 x 1/2 cows we retain in the herd. You can't beat a good 3/4 x 1/4 bred female down here in the heat! The females do sell really well here.. especially in the replacement sales. But you will indeed take a hit on the bull calves.

aussie_cowgirl":cr7ohlf2 said:
I have to disagree with you on this. One of the best benefits of the F1 Brahman cross is retained heterosis. You can see the results by going to the site I mentioned earlier; http://www.thecattlesite.com/articles/8 ... eef-cattle (Table 4). You can also go Googling and find a few hundred sites that agree with this. Type in retained heterosis brahman.

I cross my Brahmans with Hereford,South Devon and Black Baldy. I often cross them back to Brahman. I'm very happy with what my 3/4 Brahman cows produce for me,when I put either Hereford or South Devon over them. I use South Brahvon (3/4 Brahman 1/4 South Devon) bulls over pure South Devon and 1/2 and 3/4 Brahman females. It goves me the continued good Brahman content with the splash of British in them.
Colin

Australian":3e4uezbm said:
I cross my Brahmans with Hereford,South Devon and Black Baldy. I often cross them back to Brahman. I'm very happy with what my 3/4 Brahman cows produce for me,when I put either Hereford or South Devon over them. I use South Brahvon (3/4 Brahman 1/4 South Devon) bulls over pure South Devon and 1/2 and 3/4 Brahman females. It goves me the continued good Brahman content with the splash of British in them.Colin
hard too beat in the heat

alacattleman":1d9s4d4n said:
cross_7":1d9s4d4n said:

me too

I agree. When reading the original post, I thought "Why doesn't he just get brangus?" Could run straight brangus or add another breed to the mix.

Cowdirt":327u8eva said:
I agree. When reading the original post, I thought "Why doesn't he just get brangus?" Could run straight brangus or add another breed to the mix.
Because crossbred cattle are not going to give you the heterosis gain that you would get from the F1.
Brangus (the breed) is a composite and there is no heterosis. With Brangus bred to Herford or Continental there is heterosis but just not near as much as when an F1 Brangus is crossed with the same bull.
This is the reason there are many in my area raising F1's. There is a tremendous demand. I would go as far to say that they (F1 Brangus and Braford) are the number one sought after cross for momma cows on the Gulf Coast.

novatech":31z3l5wi said:
This is the reason there are many in my area raising F1's. There is a tremendous demand. I would go as far to say that they (F1 Brangus and Braford) are the number one sought after cross for momma cows on the Gulf Coast.

I wish them luck. I've known of several operations who tried to raise F1 (Hereford-Brahman) cows. None of them could take the hit that the steers brought. But there are other options these days than the sale barn for those steers, so maybe they can make it work.

novatech":1dksg6hg said:
Cowdirt":1dksg6hg said:

Because crossbred cattle are not going to give you the heterosis gain that you would get from the F1.
Brangus (the breed) is a composite and there is no heterosis. With Brangus bred to Herford or Continental there is heterosis but just not near as much as when an F1 Brangus is crossed with the same bull.

Nova, my thinking was the extra 1/8 brahman in a F1 as opposed to a brangus might not be worth the added trouble. Just run a hereford or limo bull with the brangus and get a mighty fine calf that will sell well. Guess it depends in a large part to what area of the country you're in.

Cowdirt":1a2t5uxx said:
Nova, my thinking was the extra 1/8 brahman in a F1 as opposed to a brangus might not be worth the added trouble. Just run a hereford or limo bull with the brangus and get a mighty fine calf that will sell well. Guess it depends in a large part to what area of the country you're in.
Not to mention a tad less ear.
I'm partial to the F1 Braford complementing them with an Angus to get the marbling on the terminal or a Limo. or Char. for the leaner meat and even more heterosis.

Latest posts