Brahma cross bull prospect

Help Support CattleToday:

Here's 2 more.
Not sure as i took this pic a ways off. But i think this is Sweet Taters heifer. Sweet tater is out of one of my chi-angus cows and a son of Total Recall. This heifer is out of Richard. I'd like to see a lil less window underneath her, but she's still a baby.
20220802_181702.jpg
Val.
Out of Richard and Bessie. The bestest nurse cow ever!
20220802_182533.jpg20220802_182538.jpg

I'm having internet problems so pix are loading slow if at all. top pic calf looks pretty good to me, like her rear end.

in addition what are those clamp things holding your mineral feeder?
I'm really liking the amount of rump Richard put on the calves as well! Most all his calves are similar. Aside from Bessie's heifer. To be expected out of Bessie with her part Jersey background.

Thats just the frame of the feeder. There's a ring around the bottom with those "clamp" things building the frame up and around the "bucket" the "flap" over the top is attached in the middle to the "clamp things" or "frame if you will.

Clear as mud? šŸ˜†
I should go take a picture
Simular to this but much sturdier...
images.jpeg-7.jpg

Last edited:
I'm really liking the amount of rump Richard put on the calves as well! Most all his calves are similar. Aside from Bessie's heifer. To be expected out of Bessie with her part Jersey background.

Thats just the frame of the feeder. There's a ring around the bottom with those "clamp" things building the frame up and around the "bucket" the "flap" over the top is attached in the middle to the "clamp things" or "frame if you will.

Clear as mud? šŸ˜†
I should go take a picture
Simular to this but much sturdier...
View attachment 19766
yeah that one with the green frame look downright dangerous, I'm seeing cripped animals from that. so your feeder is on a frame too? makes sense. I just recently started trying some after getting tired of the busted up laundry sinks and buckets in old tires. got the pretty solid plastic molded deals that I chain to a tree so they don't end up in the pond.

yeah that one with the green frame look downright dangerous, I'm seeing cripped animals from that. so your feeder is on a frame too? makes sense. I just recently started trying some after getting tired of the busted up laundry sinks and buckets in old tires. got the pretty solid plastic molded deals that I chain to a tree so they don't end up in the pond.
I got these at the co-op few years ago. They dont carry them anymore. Big heavy plastic is what the have now. I've been pretty happy with em. Get em rained in good and they usually stay put!

Totally off subject but seeing the ear tags makes me have to comment on placement. Not saying right or wrong but I see calves occasionally that have been tagged high in the ear and it has messed up the cartilage and makes the ear droopy. The buyers will cut the price a lot even though it actually doesn't bother the calf usually.
Tagging low but avoiding the ribs will help keep this from happening.

Last edited:
Totally off subject but seeing the ear tags makes me have to comment on placement. Not saying right or wrong but I see calves occasionally that have been tagged high in the ear and it has messed up the cartilage and makes the ear droopy. The buyers will cut the price a lot even though it actually doesn't bother the calf usually.
Tagging low but avoiding the ribs will help keep this from happening.
for females I use a larger tag and put it center between the ribs. steers get a small tag and I try to put it out on the end a bit so I can read it on the trailer for my notes. LOL

O yeah. I had one raised on a foster mama that somehow ripped the tag hole. That ear was always dog-eared. They hit me on it when she sold. Sorted her off the group.

I've been trying to get em in between the ribs as @Hippie Rancher says.

Sometimes I don't catch em on the day they are born and it can be a struggle. I tag in the field with mama watching.

Heck yeah! Is that the gal that adopted the 2nd one last year?
Yep it is, great memory!
Someone must have said the over the shoulder shot was best.
0722222033_HDR.jpg
0803222026.jpg

Got my eye on this one. Hopefully it doesnt mysteriously disappear like trixies calf did. And, stil got both those heifers she raised last year in a different pasture.
Your girl will definitely make a fine addition to your herd.

Well guys n gals....

No More calves coming out of Richard. Had the first one out of Big Sexy today.
And I did not keep a Bull calf out of Richard. His story isn't completely over tho! I plan on keeping a few heifers out of him!

And I'll have sale results of his calves eventually.

It's been great fun so far!
Thanks for following along!

Screenshot_20220512-215703_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts