Brahma cross bull prospect

Help Support CattleToday:

Give it a go. Learn in the job. Use the bull on a small joining or as a back up bull. I had a neighbour that ran a cross bred herd. Always kept a bull calf similar cross to the heifers to mop up after ai. Worked well for him. I have long wondered if you breed cattle on characteristic and not breed. I think we all get a little hung up on herd "purity" my vote, keep the calf make the decision later. I ringed a handy calf that was cross bred. The more he grows the more I regret.

Give it a go. Learn in the job. Use the bull on a small joining or as a back up bull. I had a neighbour that ran a cross bred herd. Always kept a bull calf similar cross to the heifers to mop up after ai. Worked well for him. I have long wondered if you breed cattle on characteristic and not breed. I think we all get a little hung up on herd "purity" my vote, keep the calf make the decision later. I ringed a handy calf that was cross bred. The more he grows the more I regret.
Thanks!
That ship has sailed tho.
The calves posted on the last few pages are out of the bull in question. I raised him. Let him breed for a season. Sold him last fall when grass started going away, along with a few other animals.

His calves appear to be doing well. They will mostly sell this fall. I've kept no prospects for bulls. Steered em all.
I DO have a heifer out of him I plan on keeping.

While the calves seem pretty good, consistency in birthweight was not there. Some calves were what I consider real whoppers! Most were very slender tho.
Definitely not a heifer bull.

No real issues aside form the one cow that calved in a blizzard with temps well below freezing and a howling wind chill that was deadly. That calf was lucky to even be found alive.

Thanks!
That ship has sailed tho.
The calves posted on the last few pages are out of the bull in question. I raised him. Let him breed for a season. Sold him last fall when grass started going away, along with a few other animals.

His calves appear to be doing well. They will mostly sell this fall. I've kept no prospects for bulls. Steered em all.
I DO have a heifer out of him I plan on keeping.

While the calves seem pretty good, consistency in birthweight was not there. Some calves were what I consider real whoppers! Most were very slender tho.
Definitely not a heifer bull.

No real issues aside form the one cow that calved in a blizzard with temps well below freezing and a howling wind chill that was deadly. That calf was lucky to even be found alive.
Got any decent pics of him as a mature bull? Just curious...

Got any decent pics of him as a mature bull? Just curious...
Idk about decent but I got lots of pics!
🤣
20210905_180435.jpg20210821_174527.jpg20210808_184756.jpg20210808_184633.jpg20210724_172502.jpg20210718_200139.jpg
I actually kind of like his calves. My hereford is a good bull too. I had to make a tough choice when grass started going away. Had to sell a couple decent cows too.

Here we go.
I have every intention of keeping this heifer. She's out of one of my best cows I think. I have another daughter out of her in my herd. Both VERY gentle and do a great job.
This lil heifer will be the first out of Richard that I will keep. There MIGHT be 1 or 2 more. I have plans to sell a few older pairs this fall.
Screenshot_20220703-092937_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20220703-092919_Gallery.jpg
And here she is coming off my friends place. Been weaned long time now. Doing well. Aside from the dern ringworm.
20220702_105838.jpg20220702_105837.jpg
Her mama is springing up now. Which means she will have bred back ahead of schedule once again! And it may very well be Richard's calf too!!
20220702_172428.jpg
I was able to get back in time with a couple more pics after checking on her this morning. She's taken up with the experimental shorthorns. No bull over there. So she won't get bred early.
I like her!
20220703_103051.jpg20220703_103538.jpg

Last edited:
I was able to get back in time with a couple more pics after checking on her this morning. She's taken up with the experimental shorthorns. No bull over there. So she won't get bred early.
I like her!
View attachment 18485
That shorthorn looks so much better than when you brought it home... You have a real way with cows in bad condition.

That shorthorn looks so much better than when you brought it home... You have a real way with cows in bad condition.
Thank you!
She has really had nothing done but wormer and grass. That place is rough, but it has grass. The valley down the middle with the creek is just amazing.
Ok ok... she gets gets like 4 bites of cubes once a week with the rest of em!
About half a bag for 12 animals. 🤣

So what's everyone think of the lil black heifer?
Is she just good to me because I own her and have history etc? 🙂
Beauty is in the eye of the beer-holder....

Last edited:
Thank you!
She has really had nothing done but wormer and grass. That place is rough, but it has grass. The valley down the middle with the creek is just amazing.
Ok ok... she gets gets like 4 bites of cubes once a week with the rest of em!
About half a bag for 12 animals. 🤣

So what's everyone think of the lil black heifer?
Is she just good to me because I own her and have history etc? 🙂
Beauty is in the eye of the beer-holder....
I'd keep her for my herd, If she were down here.

Latest posts