Brahma cross bull prospect

Help Support CattleToday:

That number 9-5 may just get to stay here forever! As I've said b4, she's the daughter of the one with the hat. And she's already following me around. Actually got to pet her today while mama was getting scratches.
Anyway. The 2 crossbreds..... heifer and steer. The steer really put some legs on past month or so.
20220118_163657.jpg20220118_163657.jpg
They are both outgrowing the hereford sired calf. May be the hereford sired calf's mothers genetics. The hereford calves at my other place seem to be doing better. Idk

Couple things, you mention legs. My cattle don't carry a lot of weight between their belly and the ground and soup bones aren't worth a whole lot. Thick and deep are preferred.

I hope you are taking the time to band the bull calves as you tag…..
We won't be keeping ANY bulls out of this. I've 2 heifers and 1 bull calf. He was steered at birth. His mother always throws a big calf. And we don't need that. Too unpredictable.

However. The number 9-5 calf will probably be a keeper. I'll try and get a good picture of her. She is coming along very nicely. Her mother is chi-angus. I've 2 of her daughters out of different bulls.

Waiting on more calves!
We are spread out quite a bit here at home. But with one bull now(hereford), we will get that tightened up a bit. The other place was mostly calved in 30-45 days. Seemed very impressive to me.

Mercy me..
I think there's 2 in there! Ellie Moo always gets soooo wide! We will see what she's got soon enough. It'll be out of this Bull. Got some weather coming mid week. Nothing above freezing for a few days. Ice and snow. I try to avoid February calving. This will be the LAST year of that!
20220129_164611.jpg

Personal opinion, of course, from those angles i like the red baldie more BUT demeanor is (almost) everything
An outside view is most welcome. The red one is a couple few days younger. But might appear just a tiny bit thicker maybe?

Better pics later maybe.

Ellie Moo has a problem.
20220222_180331.jpg
Idk if the weather is partly to blame because it was very cold for here. 16 degrees with a howling north wind. Below zero wind chill. I wouldn't wanna get up and nurse either. And she had him right out in the open pasture with NO wind block. Anyway...
20220222_173044.jpg20220222_182523.jpg20220222_185948.jpg
He's got the ears!
And there's this. I don't think that's milk poop. She did NOT appear nursed. 20220222_190714.jpg
And it's a bull calf. Definitely out of Dick.
He's 80lbs easy.
I don't feel so bad about selling him. No way this calf would've come out of a heifer easily. His hooves and feet are huge!

Attachments

• 20220222_180331.jpg
    20220222_180331.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 5
Ellie Moo has a problem.
View attachment 13594
Idk if the weather is partly to blame because it was very cold for here. 16 degrees with a howling north wind. Below zero wind chill. I wouldn't wanna get up and nurse either. And she had him right out in the open pasture with NO wind block. Anyway...
View attachment 13591View attachment 13592View attachment 13593
He's got the ears!
And there's this. I don't think that's milk poop. She did NOT appear nursed. View attachment 13595
And it's a bull calf. Definitely out of Dick.
He's 80lbs easy.
I don't feel so bad about selling him. No way this calf would've come out of a heifer easily. His hooves and feet are huge!
Gonna pen them and see if he can get some colostrum?

Cowboy up and make'em work You can do it!
I am definitely gonna try sir! Gotta get that calf energetic enough to try to nurse the cow.

But I got a Bessie. And she about plowed me down to get to that calf when I carried it thru the pen.

Remember when I said I'd sell anything that screws up? If all else fails, Bessie will raise it. No room for bottle teats, but it'd be nice if she would raise this calf b4 I sell her. (Ellie Moo)

Murry, you gave the calf a bottle - was it colostrum?
Agreed, that bag is bad, but the calf should be able to suck it without help.
I'm ill prepared once again. Was more than 12hrs. No colostrum on hand. 😔 I'm afraid this may not turn out well.
Tho I have raised one that I know for a fact never touched a drop of colostrum.
He seems to be OK for now. I'm afraid he may lose a touch of his ears tho. Guess I'll work around him in the shower tonight...

I'm pretty sure it's the weather that caused this whole mess. Had it been "normal" temps. I think all would be well.

Last edited:
LOL - I'm visualizing taking a shower with a calf laying on the bottom. LOL
If you are going to calve out cows, it is great insurance to have at least 1 bag of Colostrum Replacement on hand and maybe a bag of Colostrum Supplement. Expensive, but cheap insurance. Never get it from a neighbor dairy.
Is your weather supposed to mellow tomorrow?

Latest posts