Brahma cross bull prospect

Help Support CattleToday:

I will remember this thread when you are wondering why buyers didn't pay more for your calf crop or the calves didn't grow.
If he's like me ,no one will ever find out..unless they do great, then that's different .😂 Thankfully I've seen enough of theses played out to know how the story ends..

Last edited:
Good or bad....
Here we goooooo

112, my June calver, had hers last night sometime.

Now I had Hank, the charolais and Big Sexy, the Hereford.
As well as the young black Brangus, Lil Ricky. Who will henceforth be known as Big Dick. Or Richard for short.
They were all here when this cow was bred.
Obviously not Hanks!
There is no White on it that I could tell from the road. Face is solid black. So I'm thinking not Big Sexy's either.

Funny story.
One day last year, Ol Hank and Big Sexy were arguing over who was gonna breed this cow. While those 2 knuckleheads were goofing off, I witnessed Dick do what bulls are supposed to do. Laughed about it a bit and just thought, oh he didnt get her, hes just a puppy, and one of the others will later.
Anyway!

Calf was up and nursing so I went to work.
I'll try and get a pic or two first thing tmrw morning. Gonna be haying this eve.

Stay tuned......

Last edited:
Guess I should've mentioned a bit about the cow. This is her 3rd. And crap. I tagged the calf as her second. Anyway
Shes one of my unicorns, I call em. She has a right horn/scur and her sis has a left! Lol
Bought em both as bred heifers a few years ago. Think I gave 825 each
They were supposed to be 5 and 7 months bred. One calved shortly after they got home. The other waited til December and gave me a Christmas calf.
Just good ol honest mutt cows. They are both with Richard. Tho I'm considering pulling him off, and attempting to tighten calving up. I've already done that at the other place. They will start this September I think. They were all bred to Big Sexy, the hereford.
I'm rambling...
Anyhoo... I'm super excited about this lil heifer!!!

Gosh shes a tiny lil thing with lots of leg!
I bet that lil cow spit her out like a watermelon seed and wondered what the heck happened.
Finally got a pic.
20210611_182356.jpglil skinny butt
20210611_182418.jpg
If all his calves are this small, make a good lil heifer bull I reckon.
Only problem is,
I got no heifers!!

Gosh shes a tiny lil thing with lots of leg!
I bet that lil cow spit her out like a watermelon seed and wondered what the heck happened.
Finally got a pic.
View attachment 5029lil skinny butt
View attachment 5030
If all his calves are this small, make a good lil heifer bull I reckon.
Only problem is,
I got no heifers!!
I probably would not breed him to anymore cows.

I'm positive I'll have a few more coming.
But my plan is to pull him off, and move him to the bred cows at my other lil spot.
I want to tighten this group up a lil bit. I got the other place tightened up now.
So it's time for home to be tighter too I guess.

Need to find someone who needs him for a few months.....

Lil heifer coming right a long..
We will see how she does. She stays right up with mama and the herd. Still love dem earz!
20210620_104617.jpg
20210620_103324.jpgHad some folks over today looking at calves. They paid some nice compliments on Richard. Probly just being friendly. Lol
🤷
Idk. Hes sure gotten manly.
20210620_104515.jpg

Kennie - can't judge thru a pic, but, first they need good legs & feet, Then utmost, they need MUSCLING. This calf does not show any muscling. Then great volume. They have to survive on grass and hay, so they need capacity. Last, but not least, smooth shoulders.

You can have great muscling and still have a calving ease bull. Big head, thick shoulders is the worse thing you can have for CE. IMHO
Yes, if this calf is raised and breeds, you can expect at least half the calves to look like him. Not making any money selling feeders or finishing out carcasses.

Calf looks like it is doing well.
Murry, not sure what your plans are for your herd - but you need to work on adding muscling into your herd. I know you get great pleasure out of all of your animals, but a good one takes just as much energy and MONEY to care for as a poorer one.

Thanks @Jeanne - Simme Valley

This is the only calf I have out of this bull so far. He got lucky I reckon. Lol
This cows sister had a calf out of my hereford. Much better looking calf.
20210502_110518.jpg

I have a couple rough drafts for this fall. Theres a couple cows gonna go to town and possibly this bull too. I plan to replace the cows with a bit better quality animal. And run my Hereford bull half a year at home, and half a year on the other herd. At this point in time I'm just not able to leave a few cows open to swap bulls around. Had to have a bull on em, and a live calf is much better than no calf. I should have my 2nd herd lined out now. They will start calving in September and I'll update the hereford bull thread as calves come.

Unless this bulls calves just do something phenomenal! We will see how it goes.

Thanks everyone for following along. I really appreciate the thoughts as well.

Latest posts