Brahma cross bull prospect

Help Support CattleToday:

MurraysMutts

Reaction score
What ya'll think? His mama looks mostly brahma to me. Unknown sire.
The little bull is growing like wildfire, yet wasnt a huge baby. Less than 80 lbs by me calibrated eyeball.

O the pencil is dang sharp, that's fer sure.
Agree on the back forty cattle.
I got lots of Mutts. No shame in that.
Gonna keep my eyes on him tho. If his babies grow like him itll make the pencil even sharper!
Hahaha
But seriously. Not even a good back forty bull for my Mutts?
I know a good bull will cover alot up on poor cattle.
Uniformity sells...
Buts that's my long game.
If all else fails I bet he tastes good!

MurraysMutts said:
O the pencil is dang sharp, that's fer sure.
Agree on the back forty cattle.
I got lots of Mutts. No shame in that.
Gonna keep my eyes on him tho. If his babies grow like him itll make the pencil even sharper!
Hahaha
But seriously. Not even a good back forty bull for my Mutts?
I know a good bull will cover alot up on poor cattle.
Uniformity sells...
Buts that's my long game.
If all else fails I bet he tastes good!
the growth comes from the F1s heterosis that's bred in ""him"" ...don't be disappointed if he don't pass it on..seen this happen ""way""to many times..

Thank you!
The crossbred doesnt bother me as much as the fact I dont know anything about the sire.
I did invest in a registered Hereford for the home place. Gonna make some baldies if all goes right. Home cows are all commercial black mamas.

I've had terrible luck with bulls this year. One died. One disappeared.
My thoughts are, if hes raised here, maybe he will stay put! I do like the way he is coming along tho.

And I just contradicted myself in the first sentence didnt i?

With a cross bred bull your calf uniformity theoretically goes down as half the calves will get part of the cross while the others get the other half. If you are not selling in groups, I guess it doesn't matter. Some will have a lot of ear, some will not have any.

Not knowing the sire is also an issue as you want really know if he is bringing any desirable traits to your herd. I would cut him and buy a purebred animal with the traits you are looking for.

Now after saying all that, a good registered Brangus bull is a good choice over a group of Herefords. I have a few Brangus baldies and they are some of the best mama cows in the herd.

slick4591 said:
I also have issues with your words of "Uniformity sells..." and crossbred bull. I just don't think you'll end up with what you are looking for.

Looking more like a box of crayons,
some short and stubby others long and all different colors.
You can't starve profit in a cow or shortchange the genetics to get a better bovine to mash the scales.

It sounds like what I need to do is steer him and sell him when the time comes.
My long term goal is to sell 2 groups a year.
Spring and fall.
From what I've seen at sales, the groups of fairly uniform calves, bring the best per pound.
Some singles bring good money.
Some not so much.
Probly depends entirely on who's at the sale that day.

This thread also helps me with my charolais question btw.
I've been thinking about selling my one jewel bull and my char bull to buy a nice angus or brangus to put on my crayons. As long as the new one stays put and dont die on me all will be well.

You can't starve profit in a cow or shortchange the genetics to get a better bovine to mash the scales.

I'm a firm believer in both of those beliefs!
I enjoy feeding my animals. I've heard of people who say, "shes gotta earn her keep" and not give em anything to eat. Well a cow can only work with what its given. Especially when it's a domesticated animal kept inside a fence. You become the provider!

My goal with these girls was to purchase animals that were proven producers. They put a calf on the ground and paid for themselves. I've attained that goal so far.
Now it's on to the next calf crop and I want to make em as good as I can with the available resources.

The best way to keep a bull at home is to work him. With a spring and fall calving season that should be easy. Buy you one good bull and put him to work. It wont hurt to breed his daughters if they are terminal if you decide to retain a few heifers. Good bulls usually have pretty good resale if you need to bring new blood in after a couple years.

MurraysMutts said:
What ya'll think? His mama looks mostly brahma to me. Unknown sire.
The little bull is growing like wildfire, yet wasnt a huge baby. Less than 80 lbs by me calibrated eyeball.

Here's a Brahma x calf I've kept for a bull prospect. Hes out of a f1 tiger bull and a brangus x beefmaster cow. Have several similar heifers, not yet weaned I'll keep as well if prices don't get better. I suspect they won't on heifers.

Heifers have dang sure been taking a beating. Good year to stock up I think.
I love the white face and the ears!

I was over feeding this evening and got an eyeful of my lil guy. Sure makes me sad to castrate him.
The way my luck is, I keep thinking he could be a backup if nothing else. Now I just need a place to keep him when i dont wanna use him.... lol

Latest posts