Brahma Cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

junofarms2

Reaction score
Hello new here. But anyway I have a small farm in south Alabama, We have a few cows, I have a Charlois bull and an assortment of brood cows. I have one Brahma bred heifer, she was tempermental when I first got her but has settled down for the most part. LIttle skiddish. Well my wife loves Brahmas and wants to breed them to our charlois Bull, Guess it's called Charbray, Does anyone have any experiience pro's and cons in reference to this. One thing I have noticed, the Brahma heifer we have doesn't mind the south Alabama heat or humidty and the insects don't bother her near as bad as they do others cows. So what's the opinion on the temperment and all of the cross and the Brahma.
Brian & Karen
Junofarms

You may get a better response posting on the Beginner's or Breed's board. With that said, we've crossed Charolais with f-1 types and beefmasters and the offspring were reasonable. Not the eat-out-of-your-hand type but they wouldn't blow through 4 strands of barbwire like a few of the Limousins we crossed. With straight Charolais on straight Brahman, I won't guess the temperment. Let us know how it turns out.

I think it's a great cross. Especially if you use a homo polled Char. bull...it hurts less when those polled Charbrays blindside you below the waist. I've got a couple horned Charbrays(maybe they're exceptional),but I've learned the hard way not to turn my back on 'em. Plusses for this cross are heat tolerance, growth, and mothering ability second to none.

Charbrays are good cattle the resultant cross allows you to cross anything back over them.
South Devon and Hereford cross are great too. Mostly anything crossed with a Brahman does well. Some of the best breeders are Hereford/Brahman. A brindle type cow makes a great mother.

Colin

A lot of the calves temperment will come from the cow.. so if the cow is tempermental the calf may very well be. You'll find an ornery cow will keep the calf away from you when it's young, which will make the calf skittish as it gets older.

I must clarify what I meant to say in my first post. Charbrays, in my very limited experience, make very good momma cows. Bred to Angus, you get a good growthy calf that will bring top dollar at the local sale barn. I suspect the same is true if bred to Hereford. Ideally, you can select and cull for temperament of the momma cows. The two I have are very protective of their calves, and you just have to watch yourself around them when they have a young calf. Hope I didn't scare you off of Charbrays, juno. That's not what I intended. Let me add, however, that I don't think Charbrays make a good meat breed. (Well, maybe they are or maybe they aren't, but they don't sell like it)It's the offspring of Charbrays(bred to British,i.e.,Angus, Hereford, Shorthorn) that are top sellers at the local market.

Latest posts