Brahma Breeders????

Help Support CattleToday:

KANSAS":2tkrprd5 said:
What is "Golden Certified"?

Maybe one of the seedstock Brimmer Breeders can explain this better than me as I don't know if the rules have changed.

Use to you could send off to the ABBA and recieve a form it required Sire and Dams data on it and a Certificate would be issued for the progeny.
Again used to the only thing that was Certified was the mating of a Brimmer and Hereford which produced the worlds greatest momma cow. The last time I went to a Sealy sale I thought they were also certifing Angus Brimmer crosses.
http://www.brahman.org/f1.html

Your are pretty well right on caustic. Sire or Dam must be regesterd brahman the other must be purebred. I am pretty sure I am right on this, I have always used regestered on both sides, Herford bulls over brahman cows. The most common cross is to herford and angus, although I have seen others. Year before last there were some f-1,s at Sealy that were half brown-swiss, I beleive a dual purpose breed. I have seen many brahman holstein f-1's, they are usually used as recep. cows.

They are often referred to as The "Queen of Cow Country"

The Holstein and Brahma cross is a dandy cow, I have a few myself, wish I could still find that cross. I've seen the Brown swiss cross a few times too and their pretty cows.

Cow_Town":3i99xntx said:
The Holstein and Brahma cross is a dandy cow, I have a few myself, wish I could still find that cross. I've seen the Brown swiss cross a few times too and their pretty cows.

Never seen Brown Swiss/Brimmer cross that I know.
I bet that is one calf growing machine.

Caustic Burno":2m5npnwp said:
Cow_Town":2m5npnwp said:

Never seen Brown Swiss/Brimmer cross that I know.
I bet that is one calf growing machine.

About five years ago someone sent a group of about ten of them through the Coryell county sale and they where all heavy bred. I know I could hear the " ch-ching" as they all ran through.

The "Golden Certifieds" have to be out of one registered Brahman parent.. and an "identifiable" other half.

A friend just got some tiger stripes Golden Certified... they are out of a reg. Brahman bull, and what look like Hereford cows.. actually Hereford / Shorthorn crosses.

This is from an article I found:

"Chris Shivers, director of association services with the American Brahman Breeders Association (ABBA), detailed the association's F1 female certification program.

"Eighty-five percent of the cattle that move through our program are Brahman-Hereford cross," said Shivers.

The association offers a Certified and Golden Certified F1 program. In the Certified program, the dam is a qualified purebred cow and the sire is registered. In the Golden Certified program, both the dam and sire are registered."

Link to article: http://www.landandlivestockpost.com/livestock/090102fieldday.htm

the braford association use to let you certify your f1s. but now they let you register them about any percentage that suits your area. you get a good f1 braford/tiger moma she's golden any way certified or not

ALACOWMAN":30q3n6za said:
the braford association use to let you certify your f1s. but now they let you register them about any percentage that suits your area. you get a good f1 braford/tiger moma she's golden any way certified or not

Couldnt be stated any better. ;-)

Kent":ou2qknnd said:
This is from an article I found:

"Chris Shivers, director of association services with the American Brahman Breeders Association (ABBA), detailed the association's F1 female certification program.

"Eighty-five percent of the cattle that move through our program are Brahman-Hereford cross," said Shivers.

The association offers a Certified and Golden Certified F1 program. In the Certified program, the dam is a qualified purebred cow and the sire is registered. In the Golden Certified program, both the dam and sire are registered."

Link to article: http://www.landandlivestockpost.com/livestock/090102fieldday.htm

Ok, you made me look up the rules. Chivers is dead on. But there is one thing I also noted. The certification does not allow any composites made up of part brahman. Given this the gerts he mentions in his article are not certifiable.
Any non-regisrered cows must be inspected by the ABBA and must qualify. The approval certificate is non transferable.

TheBullLady":z1w96gtp said:
The "Golden Certifieds" have to be out of one registered Brahman parent.. and an "identifiable" other half.

A friend just got some tiger stripes Golden Certified... they are out of a reg. Brahman bull, and what look like Hereford cows.. actually Hereford / Shorthorn crosses.

Probably your first guess. As I read the rules only purebred, regesterd on both sides may be used. As kent has shown me.

Latest posts