Brahford

Help Support CattleToday:

> What can you tell me about this
> breed? I have wondered about
> trying these with my Angus bull.

The Brahford is a 3/8 Brahman and 5/8 Hereford. You will produce black white face which are highly desirable.

[email protected]

> What can you tell me about this
> breed? I have wondered about
> trying these with my Angus bull. In Australia we call them Braford. They have been bred here for 40 or so years.Here In Australia higher Brahman content 5/8 is encouraged in the Topics and lesser Brahman content in more temperament areas.Good on you for using a Bos indicus breed you wil be happy with the Brahman infusion.

[email protected]

We have a registered Braford Bull that we used last year and have bred him back this year to our Black Brangus and Black Angus cows and the calves turned out great. Two came out red with white faces and the rest came out black with white faces and they have a great temperment. However,we do have him for sale due to purchasing new bulls.

[email protected]

i have a braford bull and i like him, had a first calf by a heifer, no problems. sure beats the herefords around here and gives blk white face calves.
> We have a registered Braford Bull
> that we used last year and have
> bred him back this year to our
> Black Brangus and Black Angus cows
> and the calves turned out great.
> Two came out red with white faces
> and the rest came out black with
> white faces and they have a great
> temperment. However,we do have him
> for sale due to purchasing new
> bulls.

[email protected]

> i have a braford bull and i like
> him, had a first calf by a heifer,
> no problems. sure beats the
> herefords around here and gives
> blk white face calves.

How do the cows do? I have good bulls already, one angus and one hereford. Thanks for the info.

[email protected]

brafords are a maternal breed, the cows are suppose to be the best. i don't have any yet by next year i hope to have some heifers.
> How do the cows do? I have good
> bulls already, one angus and one
> hereford. Thanks for the info.

[email protected]

> brafords are a maternal breed, the
> cows are suppose to be the best. i
> don't have any yet by next year i
> hope to have some heifers.

If you think Braford make good cows you should try Brangus.

[email protected]

ihave several brangus cross now and i intend to crisscross braford and brangus they are both a good combination.
> If you think Braford make good
> cows you should try Brangus.

[email protected]

Brafords are easy doing produce low birth weight around 25-35kg calves which wean at high weights around 300-400 kg. One of the best braford bull in australia would have to be Chadwick Downs Epic

[email protected]

Many of my experiences with Brangus have been less than desirable. Nice breed, heat tolerant, very maternal, but usually WILD. Anybody else make this observation?

> If you think Braford make good
> cows you should try Brangus.

> Many of my experiences with
> Brangus have been less than
> desirable. Nice breed, heat
> tolerant, very maternal, but
> usually WILD. Anybody else make
> this observation?

Brangus are 3/8 Brahman and 5/8 Angus and most have very good dispersions. Any animal with Brahman influuence must be lead not driven. If you push them east, they will go every other direction other than east. If managed properly one can just call them and they will come and follow. I have lead them down the road in a pickup after showing them I had a bucket of feed in the back.

[email protected]

>So accurate your response. Unbelievably, I can move dozens of Braford with horses (provided they are seasoned cowpunchers) but the brangus have a tendency to bolt at the sight of the horses. In the pens, they are usually the ones ruining gates and bucking the chutes. Perhaps I just didn't do very well at picking them when I stocked, and other lines are not quite as bad. Nevertheless, as they get culled, I replace with braford.

Brangus are 3/8 Brahman and 5/8
> Angus and most have very good
> dispersions. Any animal with
> Brahman influuence must be lead
> not driven. If you push them east,
> they will go every other direction
> other than east. If managed
> properly one can just call them
> and they will come and follow. I
> have lead them down the road in a
> pickup after showing them I had a
> bucket of feed in the back.

> Brafords are easy doing produce
> low birth weight around 25-35kg
> calves which wean at high weights
> around 300-400 kg. One of the best
> braford bull in australia would
> have to be Chadwick Downs Epic

There are many good Braford cattle in Australia,they have had their problems over the years, I think with not having enough Brahman content was their biggest downfall to start off with. Breeders now opt for at least 5/8th Brahman content. Hereford breeders were only using bulls with a low Brahman content about 3/8th which did give them a boost in the offspring but failed to produce an animal that resembled the sire. Using a Braford over Hereford actually convinced more breeders to progress to the use of Brahman bulls. It happened to my parents and myself we had a Polled Hereford herd that had eye cancer+++ so we had to do something about it. We purchased a very low content bull which helped us immensely but we felt that we weren't getting the desired amount of vigour so then gradually changed over to Brahman. We could have managed if we had lived in a softer climatic environment but in the subtropical area in which I lived at the time extra Brahman content was essential.Now in that area very few totally Hereford herds remain.

[email protected]

> There are many good Braford cattle
> in Australia,they have had their
> problems over the years, I think
> with not having enough Brahman
> content was their biggest downfall
> to start off with. Breeders now
> opt for at least 5/8th Brahman
> content. Hereford breeders were
> only using bulls with a low
> Brahman content about 3/8th which
> did give them a boost in the