Braham Semen

Help Support CattleToday:

Red Bull Breeder":cisx45bp said:
Thinking about using some on heifers. Some of you Braham folks got any suggestions?
A lot of choices here. Go to; http://www.bovine-elite.com/brahm.asp
I have used this bull; http://www.bovine-elite.com/brahmanepd.asp?ID=1
The calves have been very good and consistent. Straight top line, deep thick and long. He also carries the tenderness gene.
He is the father of this bull; http://www.bovine-elite.com/brahmanepd.asp?ID=179
I am purchasing semen from Mr. International and will be line breeding back to his half sisters. He is 5 Star for tenderness and Quality.
The only thing I do not like about them is they are a little fine boned. Cows from them have good udders and excellent fertility.
You may want to try RQ'S Rexcrata 455 ABA # 234287. The only place to get it is through the ABBA. Call and ask for Chris Chivers. 455 is a Register of Renown bull and a Golden Certified Meat Sire.
Good luck.

Red Bull, NovaTech's recommendations are probably best but the other day while scanning thru the bulls at Ultimate Genetics I noticed they had a few brahman bulls listed. You might check them out as well. www.ultimategenetics.com

Thanks for the replys guys. I am thinking about breeding my fullblood limi heifers to a Braham the first time and maybe more if the heifers from that cross sell pretty good. My luck i will get all bulls guess i could get sexed semen. I really need to be careful with desposition.and calving ease. I have got good dispositions in my Fullblood cows and think the cross should make some good mommas. I will raise the heifers to breeding age and AI to a herford bull. and see what happens. I figure anything Nova Tech recommends will be good.

I love Brahman cross cattle, buy really watch birthweight as hybrid vigor starts at conception when using a Brahman on a European or Continental based cow.

BC":1lhywiuj said:
I love Brahman cross cattle, buy really watch birthweight as hybrid vigor starts at conception when using a Brahman on a European or Continental based cow.
Isn't it the cow that controls birth weight. With Brahman on the cow side I have never had a problem with calves being to large. Most have been under 80 lbs. (With F1 Brahman cross anyway.)

novatech":prjtcesa said:
BC":prjtcesa said:
Isn't it the cow that controls birth weight. With Brahman on the cow side I have never had a problem with calves being to large. Most have been under 80 lbs. (With F1 Brahman cross anyway.)

Your right on the Brahman cow surpressing birthweight, unfortunately English and Continental cows don't share that ability. One of the neat intricacies of the Brahman cow. F1 producers who used Hereford bulls on Brahman cows never had a problem until they used the Brahman bulls on Hereford cows. Dystocia problems increased.

Brammer bull on Limi heifers, thats a train wreck waiting too happen. Limi bull on Brammer heifers....fine as wine.....Think you might want to rethink that one Red Bull

houstoncutter":147d5mxq said:
Brammer bull on Limi heifers, thats a train wreck waiting too happen. Limi bull on Brammer heifers....fine as wine.....Think you might want to rethink that one Red Bull
never used a limi bull on my brahmans, but have used simm bulls on bra heifers. friend told me they would'nt calve without problems.... you dont want to be standing behind one when they deliver, else you will take a direct hit from a bovine projectile

I have to agree about the potential for a "train wreck". We've had Brahman cattle for 20 years, and the only time I've pulled calves was the year I ran my herd bull (Brahman) on Limo cross heifers. I pulled 10 out of 11 calves. You have to be careful with EPD's on Brahmans, because of course they are based on using a Brahman bull on a Brahman cow, which makes a BIG difference. Most AI Brahman bulls are not especially calving ease on Continental cows, because they tend to be big boned.

Having said that.. instead of AI'ing, Brahman bulls are cheap compared to any other cattle breed.. you can usually pick up a good gentle one for under $1500. That would probably be money well spent... and perhaps you can find one that has progency that you can see as well.

Latest posts