Bragging rights

Help Support CattleToday:

Dave

Reaction score
So tonight after taking a shower I went to let the dog into the back porch. I called her and as she came down the sidewalk she swung out into the yard looking toward the flower bed. I flipped on the light switch and there coiled up was a pretty good size rattler. There is a 22 pistol loaded with snake shot just a step or two from where I stood. I grabbed the gun and went out and blew the snakes head to kingdom come. So how many of the he men on here have killed a rattler while barefoot and dressed only in their BVD's? I think that gives me bragging rights.

M-5":u66der2e said:
Who wears bvds or shorts when they go outside after dark????

When there is a snake to be killed you go as you are. But I will admit I didn't use the normal locally approved method and chop its head off with a shovel.
The sun hasn't come up here yet. I am waiting for daylight to go cut the rattles off and dispose of the carcass.

Better you to have found it than your wife. My wife really freaks when there is a snake around the house no matter if its venomous or not and she always wants me to kill them with extreme prejudice.

I went out in my night gown and drug a armadillo out of a hole and hammer threw it out of the yard....lol...Dogs were going crazy and I just wanted to sleep.....

Jogeephus":9ssm5uu4 said:
Better you to have found it than your wife. My wife really freaks when there is a snake around the house no matter if its venomous or not and she always wants me to kill them with extreme prejudice.

I heard something last week outside about 9pm . I opened the front door and a little white oak slithered in. I made the mistake of saying " a snake just came in the house" . after a little furniture moving and 15 min I found him and took it back outside. went in the kitchen and and my wife was on the counter with her phone saying she was fixing to call her mom and tell her she was coming to her house.

M-5":3e5e8dm6 said:
Jogeephus":3e5e8dm6 said:

I heard something last week outside about 9pm . I opened the front door and a little white oak slithered in. I made the mistake of saying " a snake just came in the house" . after a little furniture moving and 15 min I found him and took it back outside. went in the kitchen and and my wife was on the counter with her phone saying she was fixing to call her mom and tell her she was coming to her house.

:lol: Sounds like my wife. My wife has a heart of gold but when it comes to snakes she wants me to go medieval on them and turn them into mulch.

I have...delt a owl in similar attire. It imvolved getting much farther from the house and a much larger gun. ... might have been a dream though. Prolly never happened.
Used to jump on the atv and patrol in my drawers all the time. Till farm fence got that drone... :|

callmefence":vrwwkymc said:
I have...delt a owl in similar attire. It imvolved getting much farther from the house and a much larger gun. ... might have been a dream though. Prolly never happened.
Used to jump on the atv and patrol in my drawers all the time. Till farm fence got that drone... :|
I've gotta get a drone... I just see endless possibilities with one...

The only thing that bothers me is that this snake was in classic rattle snake defensive posture. Coiled up, head up looking right at me when I shot it. But I never heard it rattle. My hearing sure isn't what it use to be. And the wife says her Dad got so he couldn't hear them. Not go if one is warning me and I can't hear it.

Dave":z68qaptx said:
The only thing that bothers me is that this snake was in classic rattle snake defensive posture. Coiled up, head up looking right at me when I shot it. But I never heard it rattle. My hearing sure isn't what it use to be. And the wife says her Dad got so he couldn't hear them. Not go if one is warning me and I can't hear it.
Its probably pretty smart to always look before you step out. We've also had poisonous snakes, rabid skunks and scared raccoons bunched up at our doors.
One time I opened the door to see what the dogs were barking at and a wild cat came into our house. It was all bloody, scared and tore the sh!# out of the inside of our house. That thing ran across the walls, up to the ceiling, broke all kinds of dishes, some I had just gotten from my grandmother.. He finally lodged himself under a heater and we made a snare and finally got him and out of the house. There was blood and broken things all over...

Walked into my garage Sunday evening and there was a juvenile snake (chicken snake) laying next to the wife's jeep... sure glad it was me who found it and not her... she freaks out over snakes!! Surprised the dogs didn't mess with it.

Dave":2igthvbb said:

Down here people are talking about the same thing. The rattle snakes are not rattling like they use to. There are not as many as there use to be also. I've heard people say they are learning not to rattle because hogs have learned to find them and eat them when they rattle. Supposedly a RS can not pierce the hogs hide so they have no defense against them. That's pretty good eating for a hog.

When we were a young, newlywed couple, living at the base of the hills in Alamogordo, NM, rattlesnakes were quite a regular occurrence. One particular morning, the wife left our trailer headed for work. She found a good sized rattler coiled right beside her truck. Being a native Texan, she did what many Texans would do I suppose. She hollered at the snake, who immediately went limp with fear, reached down and grabbed it with her bare hand, brought it back into the trailer, skinned it in the bathtub with her buck knife, and made a nice headband for her cowboy hat; fangs and rattle included. :cowboy:
Me, hailing from Arkansas, was so impressed that I'm certain our first child was conceived because of that event.

edit to add: it was an apartment, her car, and she ran back into the house to get me so I could kill it, she didn't own a buck knife and all we had was a stand up shower. My oldest may have that snake to thank though.

bball":3hnf7t45 said:
When we were a young, newlywed couple, living at the base of the hills in Alamogordo, NM, rattlesnakes were quite a regular occurrence. One particular morning, the wife left our trailer headed for work. She found a good sized rattler coiled right beside her truck. Being a native Texan, she did what many Texans would do I suppose. She hollered at the snake, who immediately went limp with fear, reached down and grabbed it with her bare hand, brought it back into the trailer, skinned it in the bathtub with her buck knife, and made a nice headband for her cowboy hat; fangs and rattle included. :cowboy:
Me, hailing from Arkansas, was so impressed that I'm certain our first child was conceived because of that event.

edit to add: it was an apartment, her car, and she ran back into the house to get me so I could kill it, she didn't own a buck knife and all we had was a stand up shower. My oldest may have that snake to thank though.
:clap: :lol: :clap: :clap:

bball":lh9stnhg said:

Pretty sure you might be my brother in law. ;-)

Latest posts