Brafords

Help Support CattleToday:

bigrob

Reaction score
Does anyone run Braford cattle, the breed not the F1's? I don't really know of anyone around here that has any. I'm interested in learning about these. Also if you cross a Braford with a Brangus what could you expect as the outcome, would they be black baldies or something else?

bigrob":2yrkabal said:
Does anyone run Braford cattle, the breed not the F1's? I don't really know of anyone around here that has any. I'm interested in learning about these. Also if you cross a Braford with a Brangus what could you expect as the outcome, would they be black baldies or something else?
yep,,, but i wouldnt do it... although i like both breeds, best to stick with a straight angus or hereford... good market on both with less brahman influence

Thanks alacowman. I was just wondering if they would throw odd calves. I plan on running some brangus cows with a Hereford bull to get super baldies that folks seem to love. I also would like to have some Braford cows cause I like the red one you know

hate to see a good braford or brangus wasted,, best to go with the proven cross's.. you can wind up with hard doing slab sided animals... looks like a thief stole their guts, by crossing them to each other

ALACOWMAN":339eygxa said:
hate to see a good braford or brangus wasted,, best to go with the proven cross's.. you can wind up with hard doing slab sided animals... looks like a thief stole their guts, by crossing them to each other

That's what I was trying to find out. Thanks

They used to run a lot of Brafords, the breed, out in Brady, Tx at my old deer lease. They were some deep soggy cows. The ones I've seen showed less Brahman than the typical 3/8 Brangus. Deep red Hereford marked but with dark red rings around the eyes. Slicker hided and a little more feminine than the typical Hereford. A little Brahman influence will do that to nearly any animal.

I think the F1 braford hype has really put a hurt on the Braford breeds registry- remember seeing something their association release talking about this.

Your current cross of the Hereford bull on the Brangus cows is an excellent choice- A super baldy is a tough female to beat. A Char bull on those superbaldy or Braford breed cows would really bring a calf to town. If you have crossbred or composite cows- choose a purebred bull of different breed to compliment them.

In south Louisiana you see some mastitis with the brafords. Charolais x Bradford makes a nice bull calf, but you can't beat the Angus x Bradford.

it would br hard to beat brangus crossed with hereford or as my son does with red angus. people always talk about any thing crossed with a little ear won't bring as much money at salebarn, but my son crosses bragus & red angus in his herd & about tops the market. i cross crossbred cows back & forth with gerts & red angus & also top sales. not too mention they will weigh more when you sell. i would think crossing braford & brangus would make & excellent animal

This little feller is a braford brangus cross. He got a lot of ear.

DSC_01123.jpg

ALACOWMAN":2nxnk6gu said:
bigrob":2nxnk6gu said:
yep,,, but i wouldnt do it... although i like both breeds, best to stick with a straight angus or hereford... good market on both with less brahman influence

You put a Hereford over those Brafords you're gonna get a calf that looks straightbred hereford. The only thing that brings less than a straightbred hereford here in Texas is a straighbred longhorn. I've watched black dairy calves bring more cwt. A featherneck is highly undesirable at the salebarns around here.

JWBrahman":2nxnk6gu said:
In south Louisiana you see some mastitis with the brafords. Charolais x Bradford makes a nice bull calf, but you can't beat the Angus x Bradford.

Maybe not if you're retaining ownership and finishing them yourself, but if you're taking calves to the barn - all else equal a char x braford should wean considerably more lbs than the angus x braford. Even if the Char and Angus were equal as far as growth ( which is you find an equal growth Angus it will cost your prolly 5X as much as the comparable Char), the char sired calves should have much more growth as a result of hybrid vigor. The angus x braford is a a 29/32 british blood animal with a 3/32 indicus outcross blood. The braford by char provides much more hybrid vigor - 1/2 continental 3/16 indicus 5/16 british

Massey135":1sljiyu9 said:
ALACOWMAN":1sljiyu9 said:
bigrob":1sljiyu9 said:

You put a Hereford over those Brafords you're gonna get a calf that looks straightbred hereford. The only thing that brings less than a straightbred hereford here in Texas is a straighbred longhorn. I've watched black dairy calves bring more cwt. A featherneck is highly undesirable at the salebarns around here.

JWBrahman":1sljiyu9 said:

Maybe not if you're retaining ownership and finishing them yourself, but if you're taking calves to the barn - all else equal a char x braford should wean considerably more lbs than the angus x braford. Even if the Char and Angus were equal as far as growth ( which is you find an equal growth Angus it will cost your prolly 5X as much as the comparable Char), the char sired calves should have much more growth as a result of hybrid vigor. The angus x braford is a a 29/32 british blood animal with a 3/32 indicus outcross blood. The braford by char provides much more hybrid vigor - 1/2 continental 3/16 indicus 5/16 british
to bad,,, hate to put more meat on em only to get docked for it... you need to inform the Texas Hereford breeders of that little ditty

for a terminal calf it would be silly to go back on em with one of their foundation breeds.

WIth as many black cattle as there is, Hereford bull sales ought to be increasing.

Massey135":2pb5hlny said:
for a terminal calf it would be silly to go back on em with one of their foundation breeds.

WIth as many black cattle as there is, Hereford bull sales ought to be increasing.
yeah it would,, wouldnt it :lol2:

bigrob,
I would be happy to send you pics of this year's Charolais x Braford vs Angus x Braford calves. There ain't a bit of difference in the size, but the Angus x Braford is a gentler animal that is easier to deal with. Calm temperament equals money in your pocket.

I have wondered if there would be a market for the Hereford/Braford cross like there is for the ultrablack. An ultrablack is an Angus/Brangus cross if I'm not mistaken. Is that correct?

bigrob":2sqx5bhq said:
I have wondered if there would be a market for the Hereford/Braford cross like there is for the ultrablack. An ultrablack is an Angus/Brangus cross if I'm not mistaken. Is that correct?
apparently they aint in Texas

Massey,
You seem to have this cross business pretty well figured out. How is the h vigor from a gert x char? What would you put over a gert x char cow for h vigor kick? I would like the hereford x ger cross, but I fill I will lose lbs based on hereford vs char. Does that sound correct? Trying to figure out the best teminal cross with gerts?

Latest posts