Brafords

Help Support CattleToday:

Radi Cilo

Reaction score
My Grandma is thinking about perchasing a yearling bull that's 3/4 brahman and 1/4 hereford.

She told me she doesn't know too much about cross-breeding (all she's had is pure holsteins and "retired" into pure herefords). She is wondering if she uses the bull on her hereford cows if they will come out as succesful braford, or if she is better off buying braford heifers and a braford bull.

She'd rather purchase the bull, because she doesn't want to purchase new heifers.

(By the way, I am posting for her because she is not too found of computers :lol: )

Radi Cilo":jozu9yf6 said:
My Grandma is thinking about perchasing a yearling bull that's 3/4 brahman and 1/4 hereford.

She told me she doesn't know too much about cross-breeding (all she's had is pure holsteins and "retired" into pure herefords). She is wondering if she uses the bull on her hereford cows if they will come out as succesful braford, or if she is better off buying braford heifers and a braford bull.

She'd rather purchase the bull, because she doesn't want to purchase new heifers.

(By the way, I am posting for her because she is not too found of computers :lol: )

The bull you mentioned above put on pure herefords should give you the classic Braford- 3/8B x 5/8H.

Yep.

We was just wondering if it made a difference if you made your own braford (1/4 Hereford 3/4 Brahman Bull and Full Cows) or just used a Braford Bull and Braford Cows.

Is your grandma in New York, also? I don't know how well Brahman based cattle would fare in New York and how would she market the calves? Is there a market for Braford cattle up there? The Brahman based breeds were developed for Southern conditions. Why does she not want to stick with straight Herefords?

D.R. Cattle":2bx21wbr said:
Radi Cilo":2bx21wbr said:

The bull you mentioned above put on pure herefords should give you the classic Braford- 3/8B x 5/8H.

Ok I'm drawing a blank here can someone give me a junior high math lesson?

J":3j012412 said:
D.R. Cattle":3j012412 said:
Radi Cilo":3j012412 said:

Let's see if I can figure this out. The bulls contribuation would be 3/8B + 1/8H.
The cows contibuition would be 4/8H.
Yup, that works out, 3/8B and 5/8H

dun

dun":rx6c9a1s said:
J":rx6c9a1s said:
D.R. Cattle":rx6c9a1s said:
Radi Cilo":rx6c9a1s said:

Let's see if I can figure this out. The bulls contribuation would be 3/8B + 1/8H.

dun

Thanks Dun. I knew that you would get my thinking straight. I felt pretty stupid after I worked through it. :oops:

J":2j7xh2ca said:
dun":2j7xh2ca said:
J":2j7xh2ca said:
D.R. Cattle":2j7xh2ca said:
Radi Cilo":2j7xh2ca said:

dun

Thanks Dun. I knew that you would get my thinking straight. I felt pretty stupid after I worked through it. :oops:

You just wanted to see if I could remember back that far in my education

dun

dun":3ovbsgeg said:
J":3ovbsgeg said:
dun":3ovbsgeg said:
J":3ovbsgeg said:
D.R. Cattle":3ovbsgeg said:
Radi Cilo":3ovbsgeg said:

dun

You just wanted to see if I could remember back that far in my education

dun

Yeah and it didn't take you very long to respond with the right answer either.

You might could get them certified trough the braford assosiation if you wanted. you also can breed a little more bra out of them down to 1/4 bra and still cert. at that percentage they might fare better in your area.

Nothing against Brafords - particularly in the "chigger" and "Hurricane" Belt - but what is the compelling factor on the part of your Grandma for raising Brafords in New York? :eek: The breed is programmed for hot, rainy, sultry, muggy climates - not HOT and SNOWY and C-O-L-D, WET winters. Has she considered Angus? There are a lot of them in New York, and successful breeders who can give her good advice and information.

My suggestion: go to the Breeds site on this forum and click on Braford. Also click on Angus, Hereford, and other breeds and do some study and compare breeds. Have her determine WHY she is thinking Braford, and if Braford fits her needs, seek out a Bradord Breeder in New York and get local knowledge.

ps I just read that she lives in Pennsylvania! Same thoughts as above pertain to Penn as well as NY!

DOC HARRIS

Generally, the heavily Brahman influenced breeds are found in the Southern states. They are adapted to hotter climates and sometimes do not not adapt as well to areas with severe winters.

Very few breeds can beat the Brahman Hereford dam irrespective of where you live. They are top milkers and the hybrid vigour is legendary. We have for the first time joined first cross Brahman Hereford cows to Hereford bulls and are very plesed with the result. Though that cross is not enough Brahman content for the warmer areas.
To get better value from the cross I prefer 3/4 Brahman and put Hereford and South Devon over that dam.
Most of the Australian Brafords as are Brangus have at least 5/8 Brahman in the cross. Anything less than this you might at well use just Hereford or Angus. There wouldn't be enough Brahman content to benefit much especially if wanting to sell into the warmer tougher areas.
Colin

Latest posts