brafords...scarce on this board?

Help Support CattleToday:

dieselbeef

Reaction score
dont hear much bout em is all.
i got 10.
full blood cows to breed with full blood limo bull.
whaddyall think bout this combo?
been good to me for the last 10 yrs.
just dont hear much bout em

dieselbeef":3gjtt214 said:
i got 10.

They should do good in these hot climates. Personally I would choose Brangus or Beefmaster over Braford but braford would do much better in my climate than many of the other breeds out there.

dieselbeef":3j6lc9xh said:
i got 10.
anything you breed too em should do great, ive got one braford f1 left she will turn 17 this spring. still looks like a pup. had some trouble this year with her right tear duct but im gonna try and squezz nuther babie out of her.

I think your choice of bull on them is very good. Maximising heterosis with only two breeds. Having got english, indicus and continental blood in the resulting calves sound like a good plan to me

My dad started off with Brafords in about 1968. He had a Poll Hereford herd and had lots of eye cancer,so needed some breed to counteract that problem. There were not many decent quality Brahmans about at the time so that breed wasn't really an option. Dad was a bit hesitant to make such a drastic move away from the stable Hereford colour. So he purchased a low Brahman content Braford bull. He went from strength to strength after that and never purchased another Poll Hereford. About ten years after buying his first Braford he then ventured into red Brahman and Sahiwal,to establish a full red herd. He had not enough Brahman content using a derived breed such as Braford. He lived in a subtropical area with buffalo fly,ticks and hot weather. The last ten years before his death he started using Droughtmaster to further consolidate his love for a dark red herd.I now have these cattle on my property and will continue to use a South Devon or a red Brahman over them. The Braford breed here in Australia was established by the Rea family near Rockhampton. They are still very popular. The breeders have managed to maintain a decent amount of Brahman content. Many of the Brafords are 5/8 Brahman 3/8 Hereford. There would not have been any Hereford used in any Brafords in this country for 30 years probably. Colour has always been paramount in breeders selection in this country,which does seem to set it apart from some of the US cattle that are called Brafords. You would seldom ever see a brindle animal called a Braford in this country.
Thats my 2 cents worth.
Colin

Australian Cattleman":2o3p1q8u said:
My dad started off with Brafords in about 1968. He had a Poll Hereford herd and had lots of eye cancer,so needed some breed to counteract that problem. There were not many decent quality Brahmans about at the time so that breed wasn't really an option. Dad was a bit hesitant to make such a drastic move away from the stable Hereford colour. So he purchased a low Brahman content Braford bull. He went from strength to strength after that and never purchased another Poll Hereford. About ten years after buying his first Braford he then ventured into red Brahman and Sahiwal,to establish a full red herd. He had not enough Brahman content using a derived breed such as Braford. He lived in a subtropical area with buffalo fly,ticks and hot weather. The last ten years before his death he started using Droughtmaster to further consolidate his love for a dark red herd.I now have these cattle on my property and will continue to use a South Devon or a red Brahman over them. The Braford breed here in Australia was established by the Rea family near Rockhampton. They are still very popular. The breeders have managed to maintain a decent amount of Brahman content. Many of the Brafords are 5/8 Brahman 3/8 Hereford. There would not have been any Hereford used in any Brafords in this country for 30 years probably. Colour has always been paramount in breeders selection in this country,which does seem to set it apart from some of the US cattle that are called Brafords. You would seldom ever see a brindle animal called a Braford in this country.
Thats my 2 cents worth.
Colin
you can register a braford about any percentage and color here. depends on the location further north less braham further south the more. i prefer the 50/50 route but to much trouble finding good meaty red brahmans in my area. too raise em. that another reason im going striat brangus just easier and the steers bring better

The tigerstripe female is highly sought after by many who ranch in south and east Texas. Although both are Brafords the brindle tigersripes will bring more than the solid colored Brafords.

bullpeddler":x26541ue said:
The tigerstripe female is highly sought after by many who ranch in south and east Texas. Although both are Brafords the brindle tigersripes will bring more than the solid colored Brafords.
true tiger's are just a F1 version the hybred vigor is why they are more sought after than a purebred braford which is 3/8 bra 5/8 herf and are more apt to be herford colored

mine are solid red. 5/8-3/8.
throw a solid calf with the limo bull. easy goin too all of em.
bull is solid red as well.

no im not near the adams ranch but i do know of them only having never dealt with them.

can someone clue me on on heterosis?

dieselbeef":u8bnk4g8 said:
mine are solid red. 5/8-3/8.
throw a solid calf with the limo bull. easy goin too all of em.
bull is solid red as well.

no im not near the adams ranch but i do know of them only having never dealt with them.

can someone clue me on on heterosis?
its pretty much when you take too animals of different breeds with good quaility mate them a nd produce a animal that is superior than both

ahhh. thank you.

i am gonna trade off a bull calf for a angus hiefer to try that. the angus hiefer with the limo bull.
be black or red??? anybodys guess id say

dieselbeef":qb2kfmnc said:
ahhh. thank you.

i am gonna trade off a bull calf for a angus hiefer to try that. the angus hiefer with the limo bull.
be black or red??? anybodys guess id say
depend's on the heifer if she's homozygous black. then they should be black

Australian Cattleman":kxz29rm9 said:
Brahman content makes no difference in our country. The Braford breed is to a stage in our country that it is of a stable colour and Brahman content. The same goes for the Brangus and Charbray etc etc.
how do they manage to be stable if the brahman content dont matter. seems the more brahman you would have the more variation in color. cause around here your more consistant tigers are out of gray brahman. just curious how they can be consistant without there being a percentage limit on the brahman side

I've never ever seen a Braford that is brindle. They all have the traditional Hereford colour and all seem to have about 5/8 Brahman content. The cattle are still classified here in Australia by a classifier which many other breeds needed to have taken on board,so to maintain a consistant colour,content and quality.Santa Gertrudis are classified by a classifier.Even our South Devon breed needs someone to check on the quality every now and then. I do think the female inventory system has a lot to answer for with regard to quality in many of the breeds that use the system.
Colin

most commercial southern rancher's just want a good moma and the F1 suits their needs. i tell you i could have sold every weaned heifer i raised and never left the farm. when you see those brahman and F1 sales you find the cattlemen that are interested in one thing and that is too take a pen of those f1s home their hot items

Latest posts