brafords got huge bags...

Help Support CattleToday:

dieselbeef

Reaction score
braford notorious for bigs gettin too big to nurse after 4 or 5 calfs.
is it a breed trait cuz its the 3rd one ive had to cull cuz she couldnt feed her calf w/o me milkin it down. ive only got a dozen cows so...
how common is this problem

dieselbeef":bfe0w8ij said:
is it a breed trait cuz its the 3rd one ive had to cull cuz she couldnt feed her calf w/o me milkin it down. ive only got a dozen cows so...
more common then needs too be. the majority of it comes from the brahamn influence with some lines ive seen cherokee blood lines with bowling pin teats. plus the F1'S milk so heavy that a new born cant keep up and unused quarters with poor structure will show up after a few years of this. lush spring pastures dont help either, selecting the parents is critical...

Don,t find a lot of it around here. Most have done a good job of breeding it out.
In my openion it is reason enough for a single trait cull.

yes you have to watch how you use the brimmers in crossbreeding or you could get alot of cows with balloon teats.since im breeding beefmasters.i guard against balloon teats as much as i can.

ill be cullin 2 of em soon as the calfs wean...good cows cept for this. be three in the last 2 yrs. too bad the oldest ones only 6 yrs old.

Over the last 3 years, I've had some problems in this area. I've milked one down when the quarter kept getting bigger. Another I just let sit for 3 or 4 days and the calf finally locked on and got it milked down. Right now, I have one that has a large teat - the other 3 teats are fine. It's been about 4 days since birth. How long would you ride this out before milking it out?

skyline":26f1il1n said:
Over the last 3 years, I've had some problems in this area. I've milked one down when the quarter kept getting bigger. Another I just let sit for 3 or 4 days and the calf finally locked on and got it milked down. Right now, I have one that has a large teat - the other 3 teats are fine. It's been about 4 days since birth. How long would you ride this out before milking it out?

I would not milk it out at all, the calf will sooner or later get to that teat.

Teatsize only concerns me if the newborn calf can't latch onto the teats by himself, as long as the calf can drink from any teat I'd leave them alone.

skyline":12sfugiy said:

the front 2 normally get huge and the calf can get the backs ones,,,,if he figures it out quick enuff. mine have been able to get onto the front 2 after a few days but shes got one this time so big its been 4 days and he hasnt suckled it down to size yet. the bag is huge and saggy and the teats are easily twice the size of a banana. no infection or sores. nice clean.not red...just so big the calf cant latch on...

i milked the last one the first day cuz all hers were too big. if the calf is gettin milk he will eventually try all of em and suckle em down. no need to milk it if hes already eatin

Thanks. I'll keep an eye on it. The calf was getting pretty aggressive last night. I bet she'll have it drawn down by the end of the weekend.

dieselbeef":2wmkvjx8 said:
if theyre as big as the ones on my ocw you'llknow right away if shes eating or not

I know for sure that she is eating. I've been watching her. It's just one teat on one of the front quarters that is oversized - perhaps a bit smaller than a banana. The other three are normal.

Brafords aren't notorious for udder problems here in Australia because they are differently bred to the US cattle that are called Brafords. Australian Brafords are not F1. Neither are Brangus,Charbray or Brahmousin. I've seen Santas with bad udders.Some Brahmans are troublesome with their udders,mainly ones that have Sahiwal and Red Sindhi influence,reds are more of a problem than the grey Brahmans.Occasionally South Devons can have problems because of their dual purpose attributes.

Australian Cattleman":1l3pr36p said:
Brafords aren't notorious for udder problems here in Australia because they are differently bred to the US cattle that are called Brafords. Australian Brafords are not F1. Neither are Brangus,Charbray or Brahmousin. I've seen Santas with bad udders.Some Brahmans are troublesome with their udders,mainly ones that have Sahiwal and Red Sindhi influence,reds are more of a problem than the grey Brahmans.Occasionally South Devons can have problems because of their dual purpose attributes.
the american braford association lets you breed braford about any percenatage you need for your area. more herf.influence too the north and brahman to the south. but id say the big reason we call a F1 braford and brangus ...is its just easier and more identifiable

dieselbeef":3pai67pa said:

Are your brafords F1's ? Or the braford 5/8 and 3/8 ?

5/8-3/8. come from a good local ranch here known for good animals. maybe just my like. ive been werkin my way out of em lately. been comin into some angus x hiefers. different mixes. gettin to be a more comm herd than a breed op now.

Latest posts