Brafords bred to Beefmaster bull

Help Support CattleToday:

Freeman

Reaction score
Anyone ever covered braford cows with beefmaster bulls. Are the calves considered more as replacement quality or terminal calves. Also did they wean heavy?

The closest I have had to that is braford cross cows and a 3/4 beefmaster cross bull. The calves were thick and they weaned at 500 lbs-600lbs. But they were out of first calvers.
I had some that I was going to keep to try and make mommas out of, but I had to sell them before winter.
I am not sure how actual braford cows and a beefmaster would do.

yes i think the beefmaster cross heifer calves could make replacement heifers.but have to remember beefmaster is made up of those 2 breeds.but itll still work for you.

R-E-P-L-A-C-E-M-E-N-T-S :cowboy: pretty much maternal bred together, now ''apart'' to a good continental ?? i should say the steers will take a beating

I don't think I would do this cross simply because I don't see much point in it. I would rather cross with a British or Continental breed. British if i wanted replacements, Continental if I wanted terminal.

My next choice would be a charolais but I know those calves would be teminal. The reason I went with two maternal breeds is so that I could pick off some replacements to keep. But I dont want to sacrifice weaning weights by going with a British breed of bull alone. Plus I need a bull that can handle the heat and not fall apart in the summer when its time to breed. I figured the "ear" will get me docked but I should make up whats lost with high weaning weights.

Any other bull choices or advice would be very appreciated. Thanks

you'r gonna have to sacrifice a little, are you can wind up with replacements that are to big. ... id use either a hereford or another braford for replacements

Freeman":2neivay9 said:
My next choice would be a charolais but I know those calves would be teminal. The reason I went with two maternal breeds is so that I could pick off some replacements to keep. But I dont want to sacrifice weaning weights by going with a British breed of bull alone. Plus I need a bull that can handle the heat and not fall apart in the summer when its time to breed. I figured the "ear" will get me docked but I should make up whats lost with high weaning weights.

Any other bull choices or advice would be very appreciated. Thanks
For good performing calves out of a heat tolerant breed of bull, I would go for Bonsmara, they will work for slaughter as well as replacement heifers.

ALACOWMAN":2x10qb9v said:
you'r gonna have to sacrifice a little, are you can wind up with replacements that are to big. ... id use either a hereford or another braford for replacements

Didnt cross my mind about the replacements getting to big but that is true. Im not a fan of big grocery eaters but if she weans 50% of her weight then shes worth keeping around...hopefully. I'll have to look into a braford thanks.

I wouldn't cross Brafords with a Beefmaster; too much hereford percentage. I would try a Brangus bull on those brafords, or a straight angus - depending upon how your market likes ear. If you insist on a Beefmaster, I'd at least put a black one on them. They'll still have the red recessive gene, so you'd get some red calves. With the Black Brangus you'd get more black calves, and more hybrid vigor. Don't know what your shooting for, though. If ear is not in demand, then I'd go with a Simmi or a Charolais for even more vigor.

This is all just talk though; you'd really have to match an individual bull's quailities with your herds traits to make a good match.

my first yr of this combo..first calfs just hit the ground..2 hiefers..one steer..we will see what they look like compared to the angus bull i had last yr..his replcements are huge..they come from a big braford cow but they are def large framed

Latest posts