BRAFORD

Help Support CattleToday:

Never heard of a "red stripe" but I have heard of "tigerstripe" which is an F1 Brahman x Hereford. The difference is F1 is 50%/50%. The Braford is 5/8 HER X 3/8 BRA.

Tigerstripe not terminal, but good for terminal cross. Most use tigerstripe heifer and put a terminal sire on them like a Charolais for resilient growthy easy calves. Not my preference, but many having success with it. I've got one tigerstripe in my Braford herd and she's a keeper. I bought her as a bred first heifer. No surprise she spit out a huge Charolais calf with no problems, weaned it heavy, and bred right back to my Maine Angus to calf any day now. No wonder they're popular.

I dunno. I was gonna say something but decided not. So I put a happy/smiley (whatever) face. Sorry for the inconvenice. Yeah not the best speller! Sorry!
Ellie May

D.R. Cattle":22umhhcw said:
Tigerstripe not terminal, but good for terminal cross. Most use tigerstripe heifer and put a terminal sire on them like a Charolais for resilient growthy easy calves. Not my preference, but many having success with it. I've got one tigerstripe in my Braford herd and she's a keeper. I bought her as a bred first heifer. No surprise she spit out a huge Charolais calf with no problems, weaned it heavy, and bred right back to my Maine Angus to calf any day now. No wonder they're popular.
TANKS DR. CATTLE. WATH IF I KEEP FOR REPLEASEMENTS THE ONES FROM TIGERSTRIPES AND BLACK BRANGUS BULL, ANY COMENT WILL HELP

I wouldn't think they would be performers as feeders, but they should definitely be tough and well acclimated to HOT weather, easy calvers, with high conception rates.

Anonymous":3gsls5bq said:
TANKS DR. CATTLE. WATH IF I KEEP FOR REPLEASEMENTS THE ONES FROM TIGERSTRIPES AND BLACK BRANGUS BULL, ANY COMENT WILL HELP

i know of a ranch that does that exact thing. f1 tigerstripes x black brangus bull. this produces some nice looking, good performing females. the main problem i have w/the heifers out of this cross is the high percentage of brahman you then have. you lose a lot of consistency in the calves.

D.R. Cattle":dqu751es said:
I wouldn't think they would be performers as feeders, but they should definitely be tough and well acclimated to HOT weather, easy calvers, with high conception rates.
DOYOU THINK WILL BE BETTER WITH RED ANGUS

Keep that secret to yourself. South America is the number one importer/user of Red Angus semen in the world.

dun

D.R. Cattle":ya3fpc0q said:
Red Angus is king alright. But when you're in Chihuahau, Mexico they will melt like a popsicle just like any straight Englsh breed.

Don't know what the conditions are in Chihauhua, Mexico. For certain it gets hot, but since it is so far inland possibly the humidity and insects/parasites are not as bad as down along the coast. If straight Herefords can do well there (and I'm not suggesting that they can or cannot -- I just don't know) then probably Red Angus might do O.K. there also. For example straight Herefords seem to do fine in some very hot parts of west Texas, the Texas hill country, the desert, etc. And it obviously gets plenty hot at times in Okla, Kansas, the Dakotas, etc. and its my understanding that they do O.K. in those places. Where the Brahman influence comes in handy is where you have the combination of heat, humidity, insects and lack of significant nightime cooling. All the above simply IMHO. Regards, Arnold Ziffle

The Brahman influence that everyone seems to be ignoring is their ability to utilize sparse range with widely scattered water sources. They'll cover a lot more territory in a day then any none influenced cattle.

dun

Anonymous":vsi27kkp said:
Don't know what the conditions are in Chihauhua, Mexico. For certain it gets hot, but since it is so far inland possibly the humidity and insects/parasites are not as bad as down along the coast. If straight Herefords can do well there (and I'm not suggesting that they can or cannot -- I just don't know) then probably Red Angus might do O.K. there also. For example straight Herefords seem to do fine in some very hot parts of west Texas, the Texas hill country, the desert, etc. And it obviously gets plenty hot at times in Okla, Kansas, the Dakotas, etc. and its my understanding that they do O.K. in those places. Where the Brahman influence comes in handy is where you have the combination of heat, humidity, insects and lack of significant nightime cooling. All the above simply IMHO. Regards, Arnold Ziffle

Anonymous":3cxqfvuh said:
WELL DOWN HERE WE HAVE THE 4 SEASONS IN SUMMERS CAN GO TO 90'S BUT IN WINTER GOES DOWN TO - 6 AVERAGE. SO IS HOT OR COLD DONT KNOW.

i sold some calves last year from tiger stripe cows and brangus bulls, the bull calves got docked a little for having to much ear, the heifer calves sold like they had gold teeth. i can't complain about calves from a tigerstripe cow and charlois bull though, they sold good

Latest posts