Braford

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

http://www.brafords.org/sale Anyone go to this sale last year? I've bee thinking of going this direction for a while now. I'm as far South Al. as you can go. My herd is commercial cross bred cows. About 75% black, many with only slight ear , the rest are mostly solid brown Red Angus crosses.. I've had a Sim-Angus bull the last few years but his time is about up. My main goal with Braford is some making good long lived heifers. But I don't want to give steers away at the sale barn either. Pros? Cons? Thanks

A big reason those steers seem so cheap to folks, is that the heifers are so much higher... And are in high demand...plenty of pro's with that cross, got a lot of different directions you can go bull wise..great mothers, with staying power they will hold up well into their 20's...as you know their heat and insect tolerant...cons can be disposition ..have to be handled calmer they don't cowboy worth a dang...

ALACOWMAN":3701dsrx said:
A big reason those steers seem so cheap to folks, is that the heifers are so much higher... And are in high demand...plenty of pro's with that cross, got a lot of different directions you can go bull wise..great mothers, with staying power they will hold up well into their 20's...as you know their heat and insect tolerant...cons can be disposition ..have to be handled calmer they don't cowboy worth a dang...

During the 2011 drought my old neighbor had about 90 head.
He culled 20 head or so that we're mid twenties.
The aged cows in there mid twenties still with good teeth, good BCS and dropping a calf every 12 months.
That is just hard to argue with .

The last 2 I had were sisters, physically looked more than half their age...these 2 were my favorite of them all..they were like pups.. But so was their moma, a red Brahman...their sire was a horned Hereford

Latest posts