braford / charolais

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

lest see if someone can help me. i have beeing breeding braford's for many years but last year i decide to sell all my repleasment cows and bulls, and now i'm crossing theme with charolais bulls, i'm specting good haifers. my question is for the future what will be beter to breed my all ready cross caws with, i'm thinking on red brangus or braford. please help

jaime flores":213wu2bl said:
lest see if someone can help me. i have beeing breeding braford's for many years but last year i decide to sell all my repleasment cows and bulls, and now i'm crossing theme with charolais bulls, i'm specting good haifers. my question is for the future what will be beter to breed my all ready cross caws with, i'm thinking on red brangus or braford. please help

Breed them to a really good ANGUS bull. They calves will out sell the others
per cwt. and probaly will weigh more also, unless you are in a part of the country that the only buyers are ones with orders only for eared cattle.

I'm not sure if I completely understand the question but here goes... if you are asking for opinions on bull selection for Braford cows, I use Angus. You could get more hybrid vigor with some continental breed, but quality and predictability suffer. With Angus I pretty much always get all black calves with an occasional patch of white on the face. I got docked hard on a calf the other day and I can't figure out why yet. He was jet black with white face, but he somehow ended up with some white splotches on his underside and hind quarter. I'm guessing the lack of uniformity is why, and it seems like I might have to cull that cow because of it.

jaime flores":2wg1806p said:
I ALL READY CROSS THE BRAFORS WITH CHAROLAIS BULLS SO, WICH REPLEASEMENTS I MIGTH LEAVE I KNOW THEY WILL BE BIG BUT WISH ONES ARE BRTTER THE ONES MORE CHAROLAIS OR THE MORE REDS ONES. AND FOR THAT REPLEASEMENTS IN THE FUTURE WHAT BULLS YOU RECOMEND I SOME NEED TO KEEP THE BRAHAMA BLOOD BECOUSE THE LAND IN MY RANCH SO I'M THINKING ON BLACK OR RED BRANGUS OR STRAIT BRAFORD. SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH I'M FROM CHIHUAHUA, MEXICO. TANKS

Anonymous":3vjpnsv2 said:
jaime flores":3vjpnsv2 said:
I ALL READY CROSS THE BRAFORS WITH CHAROLAIS BULLS SO, WICH REPLEASEMENTS I MIGTH LEAVE I KNOW THEY WILL BE BIG BUT WISH ONES ARE BRTTER THE ONES MORE CHAROLAIS OR THE MORE REDS ONES. AND FOR THAT REPLEASEMENTS IN THE FUTURE WHAT BULLS YOU RECOMEND I SOME NEED TO KEEP THE BRAHAMA BLOOD BECOUSE THE LAND IN MY RANCH SO I'M THINKING ON BLACK OR RED BRANGUS OR STRAIT BRAFORD. SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH I'M FROM CHIHUAHUA, MEXICO. TANKS

Your English is More Understandable than some of the other Posters
on this Board.

Don,t Apologize

la4angus":gg35whzt said:
Anonymous":gg35whzt said:
jaime flores":gg35whzt said:
Don,t Apologize

i agree. & at least he has an excuse.

as for the original question, personally i would not keep any of the heifers out of the charolais bull. this is normally considered a terminal cross & you have pretty much gotten all the hybrid vigor you're going to get. if you absolutely want to keep these females, i guess i would choose red brangus from your choices.

la4angus":mxbfu06c said:
Anonymous":mxbfu06c said:
jaime flores":mxbfu06c said:

In your area I would probaly go with good quality Red or Black Brangus.
Seriously consider the Angus Plus. You will retain considerable Brahman Influence , but also get more of the ANGUS Quality in the calves to sell
plus have a Better Beef cow for replacements.
plus

Your English is More Understandable than some of the other Posters
on this Board.

Don,t Apologize

I will suggest Simbrah or go back with Brafords, I have my farms in Mexico too, in the state of Nuevo Leon
Anonymous":1oq9dvvl said:
jaime flores":1oq9dvvl said:

Latest posts