Braford/Brangus

Help Support CattleToday:

Have no earthly idea both good cattle, other than Brangus can captilize on CAB, if I understand the rules . With CHB helping Hereford prices Brafords may pick up as they qualify for CHB.

Copenhagen & Shiner B":24uluugl said:
How could the disposition of a Braford be worse than that of a Brangus? The average Hereford is a way better dispositioned cow than an Angus.
You are right about that. But it is true from what I have seen.
Makes you wonder about genetics. Sometimes things don't work out as planned.

D.R. Cattle":2hvm3hj9 said:
Disposition doesn't help much, either.

This is a poor observation.

And that's a poor analysis, D.R. My experience is that the Brangus are much better dispositioned than the Brafords. That's why I would rather have a pasture full of Brangus than Brafords. Goes straight to the question of popularity. Especially if others have a similar experience to mine!

I've already been through a pasture full of brangus. Most of 'em were wacko. It was probably just bad blood and I'm willing to note it as such. I switched to Braford for other reasons; one of which is a reasonably priced excellent source of replacements- the foundation herd next door. The point is you can't speak "bad disposition" based on your lone experience. The Braford breed is well known for docility, high performance mothering and resistance to the elements. Of course there is an occasional nut or poor breeding in every bunch. Cull 'em out and move on.

For terminal calves, Angus bulls on Braford cows are a top notch hookup. Calves will usually be black and very English, with an occasional white marking on the face. Cows being the largest part of your herd will have a high tolerance to heat, insects and other problems.

D.R. Cattle":1o2nu5tv said:
I've already been through a pasture full of brangus. Most of 'em were wacko. It was probably just bad blood and I'm willing to note it as such. I switched to Braford for other reasons; one of which is a reasonably priced excellent source of replacements- the foundation herd next door. The point is you can't speak "bad disposition" based on your lone experience. The Braford breed is well known for docility, high performance mothering and resistance to the elements. Of course there is an occasional nut or poor breeding in every bunch. Cull 'em out and move on.

I've seen a couple of farms full of crazy totally nuts Herefords. But if anything was handled the way these yahoos do they'ld be just as nuts. What I'm getting at is that sometimes it's the managment and handling, not the breed.
You throw in a little Brahman and you just increase the possibilities for problems. Brahmans and Brahman influenced cattle just won't take the wild handling. They're too smart, and figure out ways around what they don't like.
I've never worked with Braford, just Brahman, Brangus and Gerts, but I would think that they're all about the same in that respect.
And I sure agree that a good Red Angus bull on those Braford cows would be sale toppers.

dun

D.R. Cattle":1g7o9p0u said:
Couldn't have said it better Dun. I'm building up steam for an AI program and will seriously consider Red Angus.

You won;t have as wide a selection with Red Angus as you will with those off colored Angus. But ABS or Genex should have something that meets just about anyones requirements. Select Sires and Accelerated also have some pretty good bulls.

dun

it is hard to stereotype & say that a certain breed or type is definitely going to behave a certain way. with that said, generally speaking, the true F1 hereford/brahman cross females tend to be a little on the high-strung side. more so than true brangus females. for some reason crossing the hereford w/brahmans tends to bring out whatever goofy gene each breed carries :lol:

to answer the original question about why brangus are more popular than brafords, i would also say temperament & color. although in our area good tigerstripes are more popular & fetch higher prices than brangus (not registered, that's a separate deal) & brangus-type females.

Latest posts