BQA program

Help Support CattleToday:

J+ Cattle

Reaction score
How many of you participate in a Beef Quality Assurance (BQA) program and do you see any value in it as a producer? What kind of premiums if any do you receive because of it?

J+

We do, but it's required by our maketing associaiton. It's all part of the 5-7 extra we get when we sell to the feedlots.

dun

Go for it. The Texas program is a great program, they feed you good and you're paying for it, anyway. Everybody can learn a little something and the guys that teach it are also cattlemen, not just PhD's. You'll even have a little fun. I'd encourage you to do I and II on the same day, if possible.

The premiums (if any) are hard to quantify. It really depends on how many cattle you are able to market at once. I really think it will become more valuable in the future, but I don't know if that value will come in the form of premiums, or discounts for not being certified. The way I look at it, it's something that we should be doing, anyway.

We should be employing BQA practices whether we receive a premium or not. JMHO

MikeC":35we9p3b said:
I agree, Mike. Now prepare for all the people that will probably ask "WTF is BQA?" :lol:

Texan":29tj2ugr said:
MikeC":29tj2ugr said:
I agree, Mike. Now prepare for all the people that will probably ask "WTF is BQA?" :lol:

Yup. I'll allow you to splain it! Please? :lol:

Thanks for the replies. :D I've already went through the level 1 training program but before I continued down this path I wanted to know the potential payback. I can follow all the BQA guidelines of good cattle management practices without being BQA certified. If there is an incentive (carrot) like in Dun's case of 5-7 premium then it is obvious the potential return and likewise if there is in the future a discount (stick) for not participating then again the consequenses are obvious. I don't have a problem going through the program to be certified but as in any business I want a return for my investment of time and labor.

J+ Cattle":3383dq1i said:
I don't have a problem going through the program to be certified but as in any business I want a return for my investment of time and labor.

As in many of these smallish details, the future payback will be that those that are certified will start to be docked.
Anything that is a premium today the lack of will be a dock tomorrow

dun

We have been BQA certified for several years. Have had "chute side" meetings here. Got the nice signs hanging at our roadside entry.
Not sure if we will ever get premiums for it, but we do get recognition - and we use it in our ads.

J+ Cattle":3mlch8ko said:
Thanks for the replies. :D I've already went through the level 1 training program but before I continued down this path I wanted to know the potential payback. I can follow all the BQA guidelines of good cattle management practices without being BQA certified. If there is an incentive (carrot) like in Dun's case of 5-7 premium then it is obvious the potential return and likewise if there is in the future a discount (stick) for not participating then again the consequenses are obvious. I don't have a problem going through the program to be certified but as in any business I want a return for my investment of time and labor.
I think at this time it would be a lie to tell you that there is an obvious price differential in all cases. Or even in many cases. If you're only interested in additional returns right now, you'll probably be disappointed. On the other hand, I think BQA certification will become even more important in the future. Just as preconditioning has finally been recognized to add value. It hasn't been but a couple of years ago that many producers were concerned about not being adequately compensated for preconditioning their own calves. Now, it's pretty well documented that it pays a premium and is also a bargain for buyers.

The same retailers that are beginning to show an interest in source verification of cattle will also be leaders in demanding process verification, as well. The producer's end of process verification audits should go much more smoothly with BQA certification already in place. Having the paperwork done, having the vet-client relationship well-documented, and having your own system already in place could put you in a better position for capturing premiums at the time they become available. That's if they become available. But even if they're not offered as premiums, avoiding the discounts returns the same money.

If you demand a return on time and effort now, you'd probably be happier spending your time implanting, or doing an extra deworming of calves, or almost any management related activity that will give you the opportunity to sell more weight. But if you don't mind investing a little bit of time and effort now, it seems to me that the future returns could be well worth your time and trouble. That's the way I try to look at it---an investment in the future.

When we reach the bottom side of the cycle pricewise, simple things often make a tremendous difference in our marketing opportunities. Even if we're not able to capture a premium or avoid a discount, sometimes all it takes is one more selling point to get the deal done. When everybody else has calves just like yours for sale and nobody really wants them, being able to offer a prospective buyer a set of cattle backed by BQA certification could make the difference in that buyer writing you a check or going on down the road.

I've gone throught the certification program and I did learn a lot from it. I have changed some of my routines because of the class also. I've sold privaty treaty as well as at the auction and at this time there is no monetary incentive to the producer but you know that in the long run your cattle will produce better quality then those that are not treated properly. There may be discounts in the future for non certified producers just like any other thing they can find to discount our calves. JMO.