Bow Hunters I Need Help

Help Support CattleToday:

I just got back in tonight from my week long bow-hunting sabatical up in western Illinois. I saw several good bucks in the 140 to 170" range but wound up coming home with just a big, mule headed doe. Passed up at least 7 bucks around the 125" mark. I am having second thoughts now :(

The bow you bought is a good starter set-up. I use the same kind of peep sight. I prefer it to the ones with the blasted tubing that seems to catch on every limb in the woods. The most critical factors with setting up a new shooter is draw weight, draw length and learning how to anchor cosistantly. Most new archers get their draw length set too long and accuracy suffers due to the inconsistancy in the anchor point. Get him to a pro shop (a shop the specializes in archery...not a pawn or bait shop that carries bows on the side). They have the experience to get him set up right as well as teach him about the release options, follow through, stance etc.. Most will do this teaching for free if you buy a few odds and ends from them. Shot placement is critical on big game. Especially on an animal as tough as an elk. Razor sharp (shaving sharp) broadheads are a must. Don't skimp on broadhead quality. Muzzy, Thunderheads, Montec, Sattelites are all good and will do the job. Tracking by blood spoor is a critical skill to learn when bow hunting. Arrows kill by hemorage while a bullet kills by shock to the vital organs. Learning about blood color, splash patterns, droplet locations, hair textures etc. are important parts of knowing when to push a wounded animal or when to back off and come back later. There is way too much involved to put into a post. Buy some books, read articles in Bowhunter magazine and chat up the experienced hunters around the bow shop. Bowhunting is not something learned in a year. It takes time and experience to get profecient. Good luck and pm me if you need any help or advice. I am training two new bowhunters this year, one which got his first deer kill a few weeks ago, so I am fresh on this advice angle.