Bovine Intelligence

Help Support CattleToday:

Bright Raven

Reaction score
This first calf heifer suffers from allergies. She frequently blows a discharge from her nostrils. She is much worse in late summer and improves in winter.

I have observed her pushing cutoff weed stems up into her nostrils. I have pulled weed stems out of her nostril.

Clearly, she is seeking relief. Yesterday, I finally got a picture. There is a metal electric fence post that was pushed into a waste pile of debris from my dozer work about 8 years ago. She was pushing the end of that metal post up into her nostril.

There is a level of intelligence involved when a bovine uses a "tool". Basically, a tool is any object used to accomplish a physical objective. Behavioral scientist have identified several species that use tools:
Otters
Birds
Primates including humans
Canines
Felines
Etc

This certainly qualifies:
2dbs3v5.jpg

Get rid of the fescue and she will stop. Or just sell her in late winter when it stops.
I have gotten 2 up in the last few years and pulled sticks out of the nostril

I don't think bovine are all that smart (unless comparing to Kentucky IQ) however I would say Black Angus are the
smartest based on ability to find the weak spot in a fence... but that would be racist.

I often wonder how non-primates such as a dog, bovine, whale, and especially elephants process inputs. Anthropomorphism is the practice of giving non-human emotions and behavior to other animals. I have not seen anyone with a pet who is not guilty. I know what scientists say about what goes on in the brain of other animals.

If you have a dog, it is impossible to believe they don't Express emotions - happy when they see you, timid when you scold them, jealous, protective, etc.

I think most mammals process more information than science gives them credit for.

Son of Butch":d2rc98ma said:
I don't think bovine are all that smart (unless comparing to Kentucky IQ) however I would say Black Angus are the
smartest based on ability to find the weak spot in a fence... but that would be racist.
The red angus I had made the hole in the fence!

Bright Raven":2h9xe2ic said:
I often wonder how non-primates such as a dog, bovine, whale, and especially elephants process inputs. Anthropomorphism is the practice of giving non-human emotions and behavior to other animals. I have not seen anyone with a pet who is not guilty. I know what scientists say about what goes on in the brain of other animals.

If you have a dog, it is impossible to believe they don't Express emotions - happy when they see you, timid when you scold them, jealous, protective, etc.

I think most mammals process more information than science gives them credit for.
Cows are smart when it comes to their own benefit.. opening gates, finding a way to scratch that itch, etc

Here's one of mine.. Hector's mother was a little smarter than the rest
[youtube]https://youtu.be/ddw_M0e3Mcs[/youtube]

Nesikep":2bhvgbu3 said:
Son of Butch":2bhvgbu3 said:
The red angus I had made the hole in the fence!

Murray grey don't bother with any of that, they just open the gate!

Jeanne - Simme Valley":3uve1mr1 said:
Oh - and I have seen cows "itching" the inside of their nose with "tools". They also like to itch their butts!
I have a couple that know just how to get me to itch their butt.. one day two of them came up to me and their butts touched, and they started rubbing against each other.. I left them!

Nesikep":3tk05h85 said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":3tk05h85 said:
Oh - and I have seen cows "itching" the inside of their nose with "tools". They also like to itch their butts!
I have a couple that know just how to get me to itch their butt.. one day two of them came up to me and their butts touched, and they started rubbing against each other.. I left them!

Scratching a cow's butt & tail is how I take their temp in the pasture. The tail automatically goes up & to the side, I've got a direct shot with the thermometer, continue scratching until I hear the beep, one-n-done. Couple cubes on the ground also helps. ;-)

Bright Raven":1ynljzn4 said:
This first calf heifer suffers from allergies. She frequently blows a discharge from her nostrils. She is much worse in late summer and improves in winter.

I have observed her pushing cutoff weed stems up into her nostrils. I have pulled weed stems out of her nostril.

Clearly, she is seeking relief. Yesterday, I finally got a picture. There is a metal electric fence post that was pushed into a waste pile of debris from my dozer work about 8 years ago. She was pushing the end of that metal post up into her nostril.

There is a level of intelligence involved when a bovine uses a "tool". Basically, a tool is any object used to accomplish a physical objective. Behavioral scientist have identified several species that use tools:
Otters
Birds
Canines
Felines
Etc

2dbs3v5.jpg

Maybe it's not allergies..... maybe she's just to stupid to quit sticking crap in her nose....I'm just saying

callmefence":3z59860a said:
Bright Raven":3z59860a said:

Otters
Birds
Canines
Felines
Etc

2dbs3v5.jpg

Maybe it's not allergies..... maybe she's just to stupid to quit sticking crap in her nose....I'm just saying
I thought the same thing :lol:

She didn't get this message
[youtube]https://youtu.be/kO8iZIVZmsU[/youtube]

And you old fogies make fun of tide pod challenges, as if you didn't do stupid stuff either :p

kenny thomas":2hsyrzg3 said:
Get rid of the fescue and she will stop. Or just sell her in late winter when it stops.

You should see his grass, it is not fescue. There is a reason Ron's cows are "weight challenged".

Davemk":2xunnwkx said:
kenny thomas":2xunnwkx said:

You should see his grass, it is not fescue. There is a reason Ron's cows are "weight challenged".
If its big and green now in KY then it's fescue.

Latest posts