Bovine fetal sex selection.

Help Support CattleToday:

dixiedrifter

Reaction score
Been sort of skimming over this topic for the last few days. Apparently it is possible to somewhat separate sperm into either x or y carriers based upon weight and the dairy industry has supposedly done this for some time now. It is also possible to ultrasound bred cows and heifers to determine the sex of the calf. I was thinking that if I could get some bred heifers with all female calves it would really speed up my herd building.

Anyone have any experience with this or know how much it costs?

you could buy sexed semen, or have your cows ultrasounded for sex of calf , but do not know time frame for the ultrasound Suzanne

Cost would be around $40-50 for most beef bulls and you're very limited in which bulls are available as not all bulls will sort well AND semen companies will not sort the best of their bulls as it's much more profitable to sell conventional semen so why pull a bull to sort when you can sell every straw he produces conventionally?
I know it sounds promising, but it's not the wonder product that it seams to be. Aside from cost, there is significantly less fertility(that has gotten better recently but it is still not the same as conventional semen), more early embryonic death, more fragile semen which causes a lot of problems for some people who are not exact in their handling, AND it's not a guarenteed heifer.
If you use a 90% sort, you have a one in ten chance of getting the desired sex for every live calf. That's not the same as having one hundred calves and 90% of them be heifers. That 10% can show up over and over for some people and for others he'll be 100%. And not all bulls sort well so sometimes you pay a bunch of money for a 60/40% that doesn't stick as well. You also have to be careful in that at least one stud sells two versions of sorted. one is 90% and one is only 65% and they're sneaky about which they're marketing.
I would avoid it. I sell thousands of units to my dairy customers(they all know how I feel about it) but won't use it in my cattle. Especially the way our market for beef is right now you'd be leaving a ton of money on the table chasing heifers instead of just getting cattle pregnant early in your breeding season to the RIGHT bull and having some steers to sell and heifers that are the right age to fit into your calving window the next year.

We have used sexed semen and do not get good results.
We also have ultrasounded for sex and it needs to be done around 70 days, give or take 10 on either side. Our vet was real good at first, but as we did more cows his accuracy got worse and worse. When we started getting embryo calves that he called heifers coming as bulls, we just decided it was not worth it ($10).
Now buying sexed embryos is a good deal.... if you can afford them