Bovine eye cancer

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I have a beautiful Heifer here in her first trimester and she has cancer on the eye ball. I do not want to take her to slaughter what can I do and how has everyone elses luck been with this?

[email protected]

I have some experience with this. My all white steer gets it too.

How big is the growth and is it on the eye ball itself are on the lid?

Anyway, I take my steer to the state vet shcool and they either laser it off or freeze it off.

You do not have to take her to slaughter, it is very easy to treat if you don't let it go on for too long.

I have had good results and just check him for reoccurences.

I have seen when people have let them go and believe me , it is horrible.

kat

> I have a beautiful Heifer here in
> her first trimester and she has
> cancer on the eye ball. I do not
> want to take her to slaughter what
> can I do and how has everyone
> elses luck been with this?

[email protected]

Thanks Kat. She is slated to go to slaughter this coming Tuesday morning and I DO NOT WANT TO TAKE HER! But I can not afford to pay to much either. She is a really really nice heifer about 1000 lb.it is on the eye ball in the white area and is the size of a quarter.

[email protected]

Who diagnosed it at cancer?

dun

> Thanks Kat. She is slated to go to
> slaughter this coming Tuesday
> morning and I DO NOT WANT TO TAKE
> HER! But I can not afford to pay
> to much either. She is a really
> really nice heifer about 1000
> lb.it is on the eye ball in the
> white area and is the size of a
> quarter.

I've never seen eye cancer on the ey ball it's self and not in a 2 year old animal, that was why I asked. If it really is cancer I would cull her immediatly along with any of her relatives. But that's just a personal thing.

dun

> Hi Dun,

> Three of the farmers around here
> and all the internet investigation
> has brought me to this conclusion!

another option, which may sound harsh, is to have the vet take the eye out.

Sounds to me like has a blind spot in that eye. I would take her to the vet to check for cancer. But it sounds to me like disease caused blindness pinkeye if gone untreated can cause this.

[email protected]

Hi~

The surgery only cost me $100!, that is it, it def. sounds like cancer, consider the surgery, it is a small price to pay to keep a good cow! It makes financial sense to me!

kat

Thanks Kat. She is slated to go to
> slaughter this coming Tuesday
> morning and I DO NOT WANT TO TAKE
> HER! But I can not afford to pay
> to much either. She is a really
> really nice heifer about 1000
> lb.it is on the eye ball in the
> white area and is the size of a
> quarter.

[email protected]

One more thing, a white spot on the eyeball is a sign of cancer, that is where my steer had it as well as another cow on the property.

Is it the spot raised? Because it will looked raised from the eyeball itself...

> Hi~

> The surgery only cost me $100!,
> that is it, it def. sounds like
> cancer, consider the surgery, it
> is a small price to pay to keep a
> good cow! It makes financial sense
> to me!

> kat

> Thanks Kat. She is slated to go to

[email protected]

It's also a sign of untreated pinkeye and to a lesser degree BVD.

dun

> One more thing, a white spot on
> the eyeball is a sign of cancer,
> that is where my steer had it as
> well as another cow on the
> property.

> Is it the spot raised? Because it
> will looked raised from the
> eyeball itself...

first off thank all of you for your speedy responce back to me! This problem is on the eye ball it self. it is about the size of a quarter and is pink. Now this morning she seems to be favoring that eye a little and her skin around that eye is becoming a little red. this spot on her eye is raised a little yes! vet is coming out this week but i am trying to get as much imput from you guys as possible! I wish V. V. would respond to this as well !

Roger

[email protected]

> I have a beautiful Heifer here in
> her first trimester and she has
> cancer on the eye ball. I do not
> want to take her to slaughter what
> can I do and how has everyone
> elses luck been with this?

I don't know if its cancer or not. I would take her to a vet and let them determine that. I hear that there are two types. Malignant and non. I had one removed from the eyelid and everything was fine for my cow. I also had a seet pet for a cow that my wife wouldn't let me sell when its cancer got bad so we had the eye removed. Big mistake. I think the trauma and not being able to see made her stupid to the point of no return. I personally will never go through this again and would not wish this on anyone. Also the mess from this surgery is bad. I have a strong stomach and it made me sick. My advice would be to go to a vet and get his or her opinion. Eye removal is the last option for me.

[email protected]

>OK everybody!!! Just got off the phone with my doctor (VET). Because the heifer has eye cancer and she is in her suposed 1st Trimester he does not what to do. He is afraid to put her down for surgeory because of the baby! NOW WHAT GUY's??? HELP PLEASE!!!! Vickie where are you???

[email protected]

Two choices, neither of which is very good. Let the eye go, when she calves remove the calf and hip the cow. By then you won;t get squat for her because of the eye. I would also be leery of keeping offspring from an animals that got eye cancer that young. The other choice is to suck it up and ship her now. Ugly choices, but what else is there to do?

dun

I have dealt with this EXACT situation, I took in a cow that had cancer eye and was pregnant. (o.k. guys, so we are in the cattle business but yes I am a women and I do try and rescue cows when I can!)

Dun is right, it can be a negative situation, I don't think she would live until she calved . I took the cow that I had to the state vet school and we kept her there trying to get her to the point of when we could deliver the calf by C-section and then put the cow down. I ended up loosing both, the calf was born alive but was premature and dispite their best efforts she died.

Anyway, this is what I would do, bring her to someone that can do surgery on the eye!!! A State vet school etc. Like I said it is not expensive and she might do well and at least you can get her to when you can deliver the baby. I would not ship her off or put her down now when surgery is a viable option. Please consider this, I have been through this.....

kat

kat

> Two choices, neither of which is
> very good. Let the eye go, when
> she calves remove the calf and hip
> the cow. By then you won;t get
> squat for her because of the eye.
> I would also be leery of keeping
> offspring from an animals that got
> eye cancer that young. The other
> choice is to suck it up and ship
> her now. Ugly choices, but what
> else is there to do?

> dun

[email protected]

> another option, which may sound
> harsh, is to have the vet take the
> eye out. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~sounds like shes going blind from pinkeye.id give shot la200 an sqwert little into the eye an let her go.ive sene cows raise good calves with one eye. also cheak rest of herd closely for pinkeye~~~~~~~~~~~Tc

i want to thanks Kat first off for her imput! And Dun I never said how old the heifer was because I do not know how old she is to be honist.i do know that this is not her first calf though. Thanks everybody you all are being a really big help to me! Vet will be here Sunday. Please keep stories and comments coming!

Sincerely, Roger

[email protected]

So, she isn't a heifer! My idea of disposing of everything related to her was based on a heifer, normally 2 years old or so. If you would have specified a cow, it would have made sense that she might have eye cancer. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

dun

> i want to thanks Kat first off for
> her imput! And Dun I never said
> how old the heifer was because I
> do not know how old she is to be
> honist.i do know that this is not
> her first calf though. Thanks
> everybody you all are being a
> really big help to me! Vet will be
> here Sunday. Please keep stories
> and comments coming!

> Sincerely, Roger