Bovine corn

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
There will be some happy cows at my house. They love corn stalks. Anyone else cut their garden corn and feeding it now?

Nope. They get a taste for it and next thing ya know they done tore down the garden fence or gate.
Other thing is I have to make sure there is plenty of other forage and some grain right there too. Nitrate poisoning is a rare but distinct possibility.

Purdue University article:
What About Nitrate Content? Stressed corn can have elevated nitrate levels. However, samples collected from previous drought years indicated nitrates were not a problem in most cases. For example in 1988, based on 70 fresh corn samples, only 18% contained toxic levels of nitrate. In contrast, 71% of the sorghum-sudan grass samples contained toxic levels of nitrate.

Quantitative laboratory analyses for nitrate can be performed at the Purdue University Animal Disease Diagnostic Laboratory (ADDL). Cost is $15.00 per sample plus $7.00 accession fee per individual each time samples are submitted. A one-quart size sample of chopped forage is adequate. Samples should be submitted in paper bags or cardboard boxes, not in sealed glass or plastic containers. Names and addresses of other laboratories to obtain nitrate tests can be found at http://www.ansc.purdue.edu/beef/Hendrix ... trate.html.

Also, during the fermentation process, 40 to 60 percent of nitrates will be eliminated. Keep in mind, however, that various nitrogen oxide gases produced during the fermentation process are highly toxic to humans and livestock. For the first three to four weeks after ensiling, do not enter a silo without first running the blower for 15 to 30 minutes.

Harvesting for Green Chop. In cases where pasture and stored feed supplies are getting short, producers may wish to consider green-chopping corn for feed. There are two major concerns with this practice. One is the potential for nitrate toxicity and second is the potential to founder animals. To avoid these problems: (1) raise the cutter bar to 12 inches or so the first few days of chopping, (2) gradually introduce animals to green chop, (3) use other feeds that are low in nitrate as part of the ration, (4) feed green chop in small quantities throughout the day rather than large quantities once per day, (5) don't allow green-chop forage to set on a wagon overnight, (6) feed two to three pounds of grain with high nitrate feeds, (7) nitrate levels tend to increase for two to three days following rain, thus take extra precautions during this time period, (8) as plants mature, nitrate levels decline, also animals become acclimated, thus chances for toxicity decrease with time.

Yes, I know, people from all over have done it for years and years with no problems, but with my luck, I'll kill 1/2 the herd.
I burn it. Helps keep the worms down and adds potash to my soil.

Wow... My grandmother is always talking about chop and giving it to the cows.. I guess I have been lucky.

Ya I feed my cows corn stalks they love them. I don't feed them to many at a time though just cut a few every afternoon and throw across the fence for them.

pricefarm":2zznoh4y said:
Ya I feed my cows corn stalks they love them. I don't feed them to many at a time though just cut a few every afternoon and throw across the fence for them.

same here.

skyhightree1":37bd6ef0 said:
M5farm":37bd6ef0 said:
Horses and alpacas love it.

Funny guy you are... :lol2: :tiphat:
Check the horses everyday....one day just sure as he// you're gonna find a pair of alpacas in their with them. :cowboy: :lol: :lol:

TexasBred":u3v97j3k said:
skyhightree1":u3v97j3k said:
M5farm":u3v97j3k said:
Horses and alpacas love it.

Funny guy you are... :lol2: :tiphat:
Check the horses everyday....one day just sure as he// you're gonna find a pair of alpacas in their with them. :cowboy: :lol: :lol:

I am telling you if I do I will post what I found then .. Immediately yall check what are you eating today and look at the grilled alpaca im having lol

Hey Sky, Im coming to Crewe next week and to Richmond in a couple weeks. Im pretty sure I can find some extra horses and maybe an alpaca for a little more than the haul bill.

Normally we do but no garden this year. But I'm sure my dad will bring some by and throw some over. He gets a kick out of doing things like that

kenny thomas":382q8qto said:
Hey Sky, Im coming to Crewe next week and to Richmond in a couple weeks. Im pretty sure I can find some extra horses and maybe an alpaca for a little more than the haul bill.

I know its hard to believe but IMA pass lol are you going to Crewe sale?

Latest posts