Bovatec

Help Support CattleToday:

Steer15

Reaction score
We have 6 steers that are a year old. They were eating an 11% feed steer grower from our local feed mill. There was a lot of powder left in the feed trough so the feed mill suggested we make our feed mix up. They suggested crimped corn and bovatec. We want to maintain a medicine free natural raising of the beef and a prime marbling quality. They said the bovatec was a vitamin that would help with the efficiency of corn absorption. My question is by feeding them bovatec am I keeping my diet natural and medicine/antibiotic free?

It's an ionophore. It "feeds" the rumen and utilizes feed more efficiently and helps prevent acidosis

No idea whether it prevents the beef from being called antibiotic free

Bovatec was not included in the VFD and cattle fed bovatec or rumensin can be marketed as medicine/antibiotic free.
All though there are some that may argue the definition of all natural when raising animals.

Steer15":1ci85i1t said:
We have 6 steers that are a year old. They were eating an 11% feed steer grower from our local feed mill. There was a lot of powder left in the feed trough so the feed mill suggested we make our feed mix up. They suggested crimped corn and bovatec. We want to maintain a medicine free natural raising of the beef and a prime marbling quality. They said the bovatec was a vitamin that would help with the efficiency of corn absorption. My question is by feeding them bovatec am I keeping my diet natural and medicine/antibiotic free?
Sounds like your feed mill has no idea what Bovatec is. That's shameful. I'd be scared to death of their feed. Anyway, yes technically Bovatec is an antibiotic but not in the sense that penicillin and others are in the group and it is not affected by the VFD. Feed it and if it makes you feel better quit feeding it 30 days or so before slaughter.

Latest posts