• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

bought this tedder.. think I got screwed.. what do you guys think?

Help Support CattleToday:

ddd75

Reaction score
picked up a tedder at an online auction.
listed as: "one owner, good solid tedder, 2008"

get it home and the hydraulics are locked up.. won't move.

unhook the cylinders and the left wing only folds halfway down. the knuckle is slide out and holding it. I finally got that back in and got the wing down. The knuckle is completely cracked in 2. So it just skips the keyway.

Top link hookup has been busted off and rewelded (no big deal)

PTO shaft is bent (still seems to work fine)

I called up the dealer and they told me to F off pretty much. it was as is. I said.. .yea as is.. but you gave a description.. He said that they ran it last summer and it worked perfect. ... last summer!??!?! huh?

anyway.. maybe I'm wrong but I feel this stuff should of been mentioned in the ad and it wouldn't of brought as much money as it did..

Bright Raven

Reaction score
Whether it is a can opener or a Catterpillar dozer, QUALITY IS EXTINCT!!!

After WWII, the US, because of a guilty conscience for dropping H-bombs on Japan, aided Japan in rebuilding. They benefited from our infusion of technology. In the ensuing years, they became an industrial force but the quality did not begin to match the US. Our machine shops at the time were the envy of the world. I was a youngster from two huge families. Many of my cousins, Uncles, in-laws, and out-laws worked as machinist in Cincinnati and Northern Kentucky.

I remember the Term "tinny". To describe things made in Japan. Today, we are a service ECONOMY. Nothing of real substance is made here. Quality is non-existent.

True Grit Farms

Reaction score
Hopefully it was a cheap lesson learned. Fixing it up and move on, don't believe nothing you hear, and only half of what you see.

Bright Raven

Reaction score
D2Cat":2g57hmpb said:
"Whether it is a can opener or a Catterpillar dozer, QUALITY IS EXTINCT!!!"

That's funny!!!!

I was poking at the Kentucky "hay" theme topic. That is how I hear everyone here say it. Catterpillar not Caterpillar.

BTW: I might be going too far on Caterpillar. They still make a good machine.

D2Cat

Reaction score
I just thought the mis-spelling of a work in the same sentence as "quality" was the humorous part.

The idea, "quality is extinct" is so true. Around here we have O'Reilly Auto parts, often referred to as "O'Really", partially because of the items they sell, but also the folks they hire.

Back to the question of the post, most all things bought that have any complex parts needed to be personally inspected before purchase on the internet, this day in age.

Words are relative. I can say, "I don't drive far to work." That doesn't tell anyone much, it's just my explanation. Could be 5 miles or 105 miles.

"It worked perfect last summer." After how much work was done to it and for how long?

I think Dave Ramsey describes your experience as "stupid tax". Don't pay it twice, learn the first time.

OP
D

ddd75

Reaction score
well this was online and I went off the description. Guess I should of drove over and had them run it before I bought it.. not a ton of money to get it fixed.> I just think it was pretty crappy of them. I talked to him on the phone and he said they knew about the knuckle and "his guys told him they fixed it" so.. they knew about it and never said anything. shyster. They should of just put it as.. "as is tedder".

OP
D

ddd75

Reaction score
M-5":1bs447tx said:
post a pic and the price if you wanna know if you got screwed or not >
its a 08 agco 4 basket for 2600

TexasBred

Reaction score
ddd75":1lw3g8tr said:
well this was online and I went off the description. Guess I should of drove over and had them run it before I bought it.. not a ton of money to get it fixed.> I just think it was pretty crappy of them. I talked to him on the phone and he said they knew about the knuckle and "his guys told him they fixed it" so.. they knew about it and never said anything. shyster. They should of just put it as.. "as is tedder".
Anything auctioned is usually "as is". These folks are sort of like cattlemen. They won't lie to you but don't tell you more than what you ask.

M-5

Reaction score
AT the FLORIDA STATE line checking papers
Hydraulics?? 4 baskettedder should just have a pin with a spring to assist in folding it up.

The one that comes up on my search is a fannex500 I have a fannex 400 and just fixed the spring this winter

OP
D

ddd75

Reaction score
M-5":1kw9ha15 said:
Hydraulics?? 4 baskettedder should just have a pin with a spring to assist in folding it up.

The one that comes up on my search is a fannex500 I have a fannex 400 and just fixed the spring this winter

this has hydraulic cylinders on each side that fold up the wings. its an agco

M-5

Reaction score
ddd75":1uyx665b said:
M-5":1uyx665b said:

this has hydraulic cylinders on each side that fold up the wings. its an agco

AGCO is a parent company ,

Nesikep

Reaction score
When dealers do this sort of crap, or stores sell crap and don't warranty it, I sure feel like parking it in in their showroom.. small items attached to a brick and through the front window kinda deal.. I think you did get screwed.

OP
D

ddd75

Reaction score
M-5":14ndlw9k said:
Is it a Massey Ferguson or fella ?

ist just agco.. it has agco stickers all over it.. agco on the serial tag.

M-5

Reaction score
I assume you didn't search availability of parts before you bought it. From my search is gonna be a fella,MFor could be fendt , I have not found a agco specific product. Doesn't mean it's not possible. Expensive lesson good luck

jd720

Reaction score
I was at a consignment auction about a month ago and they sold an Agco 4 basket tedder with the hydraulic fold for $625. I almost bought it because really the only thing it needed was a few of the tines and a coat of paint. I`m thinking $2600 is a little high. I`m sure they have someone running the price up to their minimum on most of these online auctions anyway.

OP
D

ddd75

Reaction score
jd720":3u3h55zl said:
I was at a consignment auction about a month ago and they sold an Agco 4 basket tedder with the hydraulic fold for $625. I almost bought it because really the only thing it needed was a few of the tines and a coat of paint. I`m thinking $2600 is a little high. I`m sure they have someone running the price up to their minimum on most of these online auctions anyway.
wow. thats the best deal I've ever seen on one.

Best I've seen them go for is around 1500 for a really old one. I saw a 6 basket last year go for 2400 but I already had a full trailer so I didn't buy it.. all it needed was tires.
I paid for it alright.. but I really needed one.. forage is too thick. one good thing going on right now :lol2:

Latest posts