Bought some semen today.

Help Support CattleToday:

Part of the point of smaller frame cows is you can run more of them. Bigger doesn't mean more profitable. 127-1100 lb cows is probably more profitable than 100-1400 lb cows (same total weight). To keep things simple, say all cows wean a calf. The 1400 pounders wean a 600 lb calf. The 1100 pounders wean a 500 lb calf. The 1100 pounders wean 63,500 lbs total. The 1400 pounders wean 60,000 lbs total likely at a lower price.
You just need to manage and bread your 1100 lb cows to wean 600 lb calves.

Started hearing this 'your cows are too big' thing back around 2007. Will admit that the first round of Angus-sired heifers, out of my old linebred 1980s percentage Simmental cows ended up making cows that were a LOT bigger than the old girls.
So... we tried a couple of 4-Frame Angus AI sires. Steers got hammered for being short, dumpy puds. Heifers were hit or miss as cows... had a couple that topped out at 925 lb as 3yr olds. Just. Too. Little.
Darn glad I didn't fall for any of those 2.5-3 Frame bulls that Kit Pharo was pushing at the time... but I came real close to biting on 'em.

After sending the dinks to town over a few years, the cow herd pretty well stabilized around 1200# - but there were a few 1600-1800-pounders... mostly daughters of that first Angus bull we bought to bring in more black hides.

Latest posts