Bought some land just out of CRP

Help Support CattleToday:

wilber

Reaction score
About a year a go i bought some land :D that was in the CRP program for the last 20 years. I have tried to keep it cut atleast once a mth once i bought it. This spring i decited to let it grow and see how much grass or weeds i have. Well it is mainly weeds :cry2: but i do have alot of grass. What would you all think my next step should be. I would like to be able to roll it for hay next year. I have heard about 2,4-d but will that kill what grass i have growing?

Thank you in advance for your idea's and help. :help:

2-4 D will not hurt the grass. You must get rid of the weeds or the grass will not do good. Might need to reseed once you get the weeds killed.

is it best to spray when the weeds are tall or should i bushhog it all down then spray?

thank you

I'm curious as to why there are weeds on CRP ground that has been in for 20 years. Grass should have overtaken the weeds long ago. Of course I don't know where your from so maybe that makes a difference. Around here we have a lot of smooth brome and outcompetes nearly everything else.

novaman":1oooqk7f said:
I'm curious as to why there are weeds on CRP ground that has been in for 20 years. Grass should have overtaken the weeds long ago. Of course I don't know where your from so maybe that makes a difference. Around here we have a lot of smooth brome and outcompetes nearly everything else.
CRP here will be full of all sorts of weeds, trees and junk. If you knew you were going to hay or graze it when it came out though you could have it in great shape.

Latest posts