bought sick calf now two others are getting it

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Hi all. Thank you in advance for taking time to reply. I am in dire need of your experience.

My husband and I recently bought a dairy bull calf 4d old that had been nursed on its mother. It seemed to have scours that day. It refused a bottle for the next day and a half but was up and kicking around. I was able to give it electroytes. I figured it missed its mother since it bawled a fair amount. Well, it finally started taking a bottle and things seemed fine as it was still frisky. Within a day or two however, it started to only 1/2 bottle. Then it got a dry cough. Now it has a congested cough and hardly gets up but it will eat a 1/2 bottle twice a day. It also seems to smell like rotten fish.

Now the other two calfs aren't eatting full bottles and one has a dry cough. I am getting discouraged that we will lose them all.

Suggestions?

D.R. Cattle":3sc636vb said:
Too late for vaccination. Now you'll have to treat with something. LA200 works best for me, if in fact anything will work at all.

Well coming from you I shouldn't expect any less. Hum just give him LA200. LA200 is an antinflamitory works best on Pinkeye and Foot Rot, doesn't do much for scours. Give the calf NUFLOR or BAYTRILL 100. Keep giving electrolytes. DR Cattle you sound just like these old farmers that didn't know anything but LA200. Mr. Florida Cattleman USA. LOL.

RL":ovdlsvxx said:
Hi all. Thank you in advance for taking time to reply. I am in dire need of your experience.

My husband and I recently bought a dairy bull calf 4d old that had been nursed on its mother. It seemed to have scours that day. It refused a bottle for the next day and a half but was up and kicking around. I was able to give it electroytes. I figured it missed its mother since it bawled a fair amount. Well, it finally started taking a bottle and things seemed fine as it was still frisky. Within a day or two however, it started to only 1/2 bottle. Then it got a dry cough. Now it has a congested cough and hardly gets up but it will eat a 1/2 bottle twice a day. It also seems to smell like rotten fish.

Now the other two calfs aren't eatting full bottles and one has a dry cough. I am getting discouraged that we will lose them all.

Suggestions?

Our standard protocol when we used to pick up salbarn calves, or calves from an unknown soruce was to give them a blast of Nuflor before they came off the trailer. Occasionally a second shot two days later.
Quality milk replacer is also vital to succesfull bottle calf raising.
It's time to get agressive with the treatment for shipping fever complex, aka pneumonia, snots, lunger, whatever.

dun

BLACKPOWER":1tng4pok said:
D.R. Cattle":1tng4pok said:
Too late for vaccination. Now you'll have to treat with something. LA200 works best for me, if in fact anything will work at all.

Well coming from you I shouldn't expect any less. Hum just give him LA200. LA200 is an antinflamitory works best on Pinkeye and Foot Rot, doesn't do much for scours. Give the calf NUFLOR or BAYTRILL 100. Keep giving electrolytes. DR Cattle you sound just like these old farmers that didn't know anything but LA200. Mr. Florida Cattleman USA. LOL.

LA200 is not an inflamatory. It is an antibiotic and recommended usages include pneumonia. (Read the instructions copied below)

"LIQUAMYCIN LA-200 is approved for:

The treatment of pneumonia and shipping fever complex associated with Pasteurella spp. and Hemophilus spp.; infectious bovine keratoconjunctivitis (pinkeye) caused by Moraxella bovis; footrot and diphtheria caused by Fusobacterium necrophorum; bacterial enteritis (scours) caused by Escherichia coli; wooden tongue caused by Actinobacillus lignieresii; leptospirosis caused by Leptospira pomona; and wound infections and acute metritis caused by strains of staphylococci and streptococci organisms sensitive to oxytetracycline. "

This does not mean it is the best solution, hence my statement was "Works best for me." You keep using what you like out there in that damn frozen tundra. I'll use what I like best and recommend it when asked.

The Guest mentioned that other calves were getting the same symptoms. This is why we quarantine all new animals a minimum of 30 days from the rest of our herd. I have accidentally brought ring worm, coccidiosis, and other things to our ranch through purchased cattle. We keep them in a smal pasture near the house where we can watch them for illnesses, get them vaccinated, inspect behavior, etc. It is easier to remove a cow that was a mistake when it is in a small pasture near our house and this ensures that we spend the time watching it.

Latest posts