Bought my first cows on my own this weekend!

Help Support CattleToday:

If he bought them on Saturday and considering he is from Trumann, I assume he bought them at the salebarn in Paragould. You should be warned about buying cows at a sale. Especially that one. Since you say it was a herd sellout you may have been ok, but very rarely would you want to buy cows there. I bought 2 there one time that were 5 yrs old and 3rd period bred. Sold them there a month later, for them to be No mouth, short and solid, and one even went back to period 2 from period 3. Needless to say I lost money on the sale. I didn't say anything to Ward, the owner of the barn, but really should have. He is a really nice guy and I am sure would have done something about it. But I learned my lesson, I won't buy another cow from a salebarn.

Josh, yes I did get them at Ward's. I am with you about salebarn cows. I wouldn't buy them on just any occasion, but since the owner was there to talk about them and was selling his entire herd because of lack of grass, I wasn't as concernced. It was basically like buying them off the farm, except the transaction was done at the salebarn.Now on a normal sale, for the most part people are just taking out their trash. I went to Ash Flat Friday night and that was the case then. The other cow that I bought at Ward's back during the spring had a calf on her and she was said to be bred back 2nd period. Right on the money! She calved Sep. 16! I guess you can have a bad experience or a good one buying cows from anywhere or anyone and if I could have found some cows on the farm like what I was looking for, I would have gone that route first.

Zach

P.S. Josh, do you know where I could pick up one or two more Angus/Brangus type pairs or bred cows?

Thanks

Glad everything worked out for you. This year there have been alot of farm dispersal sales b/c of the grass situation. I personally sold 15 of my cows and some of the people got great deals on. I had to sell b/c I have 1/3 of the hay I normally produce and almost dirt pastures. I don't really know of anywhere off the top of my head to get what you are looking for. If I come across some I will let you know.

Josh