Bought Gelbvieh Bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

Cross breeder #1

Reaction score
We have finally bought some Gelbvieh bulls! :banana: Lot 57 & 58 of the Judd Ranch sale March 1. Two red PB gelbviehs 5.5 and 4.7 frame.

I have a picture but I don't know how to post them on here. Will continue to attempt to do so.

Pretty shiney bull. Congrats.

Lot58_JRI.jpg

Cross breeder #1":2lig702x said:
Mostly angus cows, have not used anything but PB Angus or Red Angus for 17 years. 17 years ago we had a Chromed up Baldy Simmental bull and about 1/3 of our current cows are baldies/brockles and are 1/8 or less simmental. Planning on covering their balancer daughters with a Sim-Angus bull in the future.

http://ranchers.net/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/15158

That should pound the scales for you. Be sure and let us know how they turn out.

3waycross":3mfq9wbn said:
Pretty shiney bull. Congrats.

Lot58_JRI.jpg

Now here is a fine bull! He has some excellent Phenotypical characteristics - deep flank, full heart girth and spring of rib, good Functional traits (feet, legs etc.). You should be "button-bustin" proud of how he will reproduce for you.

DOC HARRIS

The bull pictured is Reg. # 1231292.
Other bull is Reg.# 1237012.

One thing that impressed me about every bull that I saw while I was there (287 in the sale-all raised by Judd's) was the width, they are wider than the old bulls that we have. They have made a habit of fighting the two old bulls (3 & 4 year old), they are far better muscled than the old bulls which makes it an interesting fight to watch. Sometimes the 4 year old bull will start to beat one of red bulls then the other red bull jumps on top of the black bull. Best buds :lol: .

If I bought 2 new bulls I sure as heck wouldn't be letting them fight. They do get injured permanently sometimes.

Just watch the fighting and don't let it get too serious.. we bought a 2 year old last fall and he spent the winter with the cows and teh 7 year old bull.. they would playfight all the time... The young one would turn around and kick his butt in the air if he was losing as to say "just kidding"

Cowpollinator... if you look at my pictures, all the calves in the last 5 years are red gelbviehs... After coming from a dairyish shorthorn, they are so much easier on the eyes!.. such meaty backs and butts.

I like the disposition of them too.. I've never had a bull so well behaved as when I brought ours to the sale barn, a 3 hour trip... he just mosey'd off the truck and into his pen, then came up to me to get his ear scratched... and loading him was picture perfect too.. The calves for the most part are really good too, most of them love people, the rest only like me. Sure there are some wild ones, but most of the time they listened to mother too much.

AllForage":slpbjtsb said:
If I bought 2 new bulls I sure as heck wouldn't be letting them fight. They do get injured permanently sometimes.
Yep...and sometimes the winner don't win in the long run.. All that fighting takes a toll on the body put out of work early on

ALACOWMAN":1o6yef1l said:
Yep...and sometimes the winner don't win in the long run.. All that fighting takes a toll on the body put out of work early on

Been in a bad mood lately, tried to buy my Aunt's place to expand and she rented out to a millionaire's worthless son whose daddy bought him an instant herd of fifty pairs. Two days ago he dropped off two gorgeous Charolais bulls. Rippling muscles, probably Frame 5.5 1600 pound two year olds that make your jaw drop and the drool start flowing. BUT, both of those big bulls are awfully small down there (scrotal circumference). So those two have been fighting non stop since they hit the ground. The cows ran to one side of a thirty acre pasture and they ran to the other side. It looks like they have each dropped twenty pounds when I saw them this morning. Now the old farts who suck up all the oxygen at the feed mill swear that a big bull with squirrel nuts has been on steroids and is gonna fight until it is out of their system. Wonder if they are right?

JWBrahman":14d3pmmi said:
ALACOWMAN":14d3pmmi said:

Been in a bad mood lately, tried to buy my Aunt's place to expand and she rented out to a millionaire's worthless son whose daddy bought him an instant herd of fifty pairs. Two days ago he dropped off two gorgeous Charolais bulls. Rippling muscles, probably Frame 5.5 1600 pound two year olds that make your jaw drop and the drool start flowing. BUT, both of those big bulls are awfully small down there (scrotal circumference). So those two have been fighting non stop since they hit the ground. The cows ran to one side of a thirty acre pasture and they ran to the other side. It looks like they have each dropped twenty pounds when I saw them this morning.
Code:
Now the old farts who suck up all the oxygen at the feed mill swear that a big bull with squirrel nuts has been on steroids and is gonna fight until it is out of their system. Wonder if they are right?[/quote]
doubt its steriods , most likely fed heavy, hampering sperm production and labido..they need to loose some of that excess fat, to go to work.. but fat sells, as alot of those type breeders will tell you