Bought fertilizer today....

Help Support CattleToday:

Does Brinks transport fertilizer now? If not they should. these prices stated are about what I heard here not long ago. I actually use mostly urea only, did ask what triple 19 was to be curious. Sometime I top dress a little with triple 19 after first cutting.

Does Brinks transport fertilizer now? If not they should. these prices stated are about what I heard here not long ago. I actually use mostly urea only, did ask what triple 19 was to be curious. Sometime I top dress a little with triple 19 after first cutting.
Urea was quoted for $1040 if I remember correctly.

BB&T bank did a similar "kiting" thing with deposits to increase their interest and overdraft fees. Hands down the crookedest bank you could do business with.
I am not sure what the practice BB&T (now Truist) put in place that upset you. I am not a banker, but I did retire from BB&T. One of the thing I was always proud of was the ethics of the bank.

I will admit BB&T, like every other bank, does everything they can within the law to maximize fees, but to say that BB&T is "crooked" implies they broke the law.

Can you give more detail on what they did that upset you so much?

I am not sure what the practice BB&T (now Truist) put in place that upset you. I am not a banker, but I did retire from BB&T. One of the thing I was always proud of was the ethics of the bank.

I will admit BB&T, like every other bank, does everything they can within the law to maximize fees, but to say that BB&T is "crooked" implies they broke the law.

Can you give more detail on what they did that upset you so much?
Basically they had a practice of doing an internal hold on checks but not the same way most banks do. The way it was explained to me is banks get paid interest at midnight every night on whats on deposit so they would hold that money to up that number. Then they would charge an overdraft fee on my account. They paid the checks because they knew I had the money , they were holding it. Checks that you wrote would clear before a deposit made the same day. Basically playing it so they got interest and an overdraft fee. I was just starting out in business and not riding a huge buffer in my account. I never wrote a check I didnt have money to cover already deposited but they were screwing me hard until I found out they were doing it. That banking relationship didnt last long. Wouldnt piss on one if it was on fire to this day.

They were also the first to charge a fee to cash a check for a non acct. holder. Just a shytty bank as a whole. Glad you had a good experience working for them, me not so much.

I did a search on the procedure for check clearing and transactions. Lot's of variables - same banking company or different, how it was deposited, government rules, etc.

Basically they had a practice of doing an internal hold on checks but not the same way most banks do. The way it was explained to me is banks get paid interest at midnight every night on whats on deposit so they would hold that money to up that number. Then they would charge an overdraft fee on my account. They paid the checks because they knew I had the money , they were holding it. Checks that you wrote would clear before a deposit made the same day. Basically playing it so they got interest and an overdraft fee. I was just starting out in business and not riding a huge buffer in my account. I never wrote a check I didnt have money to cover already deposited but they were screwing me hard until I found out they were doing it. That banking relationship didnt last long. Wouldnt piss on one if it was on fire to this day.

They were also the first to charge a fee to cash a check for a non acct. holder. Just a shytty bank as a whole. Glad you had a good experience working for them, me not so much.
I am not going to try to defend them. I do not know about that kind of stuff. I hope you found a bank that you are happy with

Its hard to describe and I dont know the technical ins and outs but I went down the street to a different bank and told them what was happening and that is roughly how they explained it to me. It was also almost 20 years ago. Switched banks and have used several others since for different things and never close to the same problem so seemed to narrow it down to me as to where the problem was.

More price hikes coming and I was quoted a price good only for today on triple 19. I checked with 4-5 other places and it was the best price. It boils down to either pay or possibly thin the herd next year.
Locally,Sc Ky, tri 19 is $1400/T. None available and no prepay. Expecting $1800/T by time it arrives.

I don't know if fertilizer production is decentralized or concentrated.

Will this only hurt that area, or will the cost of fertilizer go up across the nation because of the loss of this plant?

Firefighters pulled back from a massive fire that destroyed the Winston Weaver Co. fertilizer plant Monday night, as fears of an explosion led to an evacuation of an area within a one-mile perimeter of the plant on North Cherry Street near Indiana Avenue.​

Back in 2013 there was a massive explosion and fire at a fertilizer plant in West, TX. I think it killed 15…real bad scene. Not sure if that affected fertilizer prices, but manufacturing may be decentralized.

I don't know if fertilizer production is decentralized or concentrated.

Will this only hurt that area, or will the cost of fertilizer go up across the nation because of the loss of this plant?

Firefighters pulled back from a massive fire that destroyed the Winston Weaver Co. fertilizer plant Monday night, as fears of an explosion led to an evacuation of an area within a one-mile perimeter of the plant on North Cherry Street near Indiana Avenue.​
Its not gonna make it cheaper. That sucks but glad no one was hurt.

Back in 2013 there was a massive explosion and fire at a fertilizer plant in West, TX. I think it killed 15…real bad scene. Not sure if that affected fertilizer prices, but manufacturing may be decentralized.
What that explosion did was make most fertilizer dealer's stop carrying ammonia nitrate. A good stable nitrogen source even in hot weather. Now for the most part it's either ammonia sulfate at only 21 percent or the unstable urea. Piss poor management by both the west plant and the fire department.

What that explosion did was make most fertilizer dealer's stop carrying ammonia nitrate. A good stable nitrogen source even in hot weather. Now for the most part it's either ammonia sulfate at only 21 percent or the unstable urea. Piss poor management by both the west plant and the fire department.

After pricing fertilizer and getting that good throw up feeling I am in process of cross fencing all my pastures again making them even smaller for more intense rotational grazing pastures. Hopefully it will help to put more **** down in small areas rather than the larger pastures.
I will pass the good throw up feeling , I will however; cross fence and cull, if conditions call for it.

Latest posts