Bought fertilizer today....

Help Support CattleToday:

What are you guys paying for fertilizer?
I believe urea is $1400/ton Au dollars. I haven't had to buy it at that price yet. I have about 3 ton of shed sweepings under a tarp from spring of 2020. It is about 40% urea and rest made of MAP, DAP, Amonium sulphate and some potash so should be enough to get my winter oats out of the ground when I plant them end Jan/ early Feb.

Ken

I represented a woman that worked at a bank that "kited" several thousand dollars of checks for almost a year. She got caught.
Some people will try anything apparently not thinking about the consequences.

Last edited:
I'm 45, generation X, still use paper checks or cash for personal things and business. I have 1 credit card that pays(keeps track) of fuel and is used where cash is no longer accepted. Our society ( globally) wants us to use computer tracked $ because it's easier for the powers to be to track us and use that info to target us with our smart phones. It won't be long before our old ways will be taken away so that we can become puppets for the few puppet masters! Until then I will feel the loss of $ better by using actual $ for my transactions. Wonder why 80% have credit card debt? Because the global economy breeds us into over indulging time and time again!

I represented a woman that worked at a bank that "kited" several thousand dollars of checks for almost a year. She got caught.
What is kiting exactly? i thought it was just writing a check knowing you didn't have enough in there to cover it at the moment, but making a deposit before it clears, no?

What is kiting exactly? i thought it was just writing a check knowing you didn't have enough in there to cover it at the moment, but making a deposit before it clears, no?
Yes, you were actually getting the benefit of the use of the money for a week to 10 days before the check was presented to your bank for payment (in the old days the physical check went to a clearing house then sent back to the bank where it was processed). Edit: This was a physical paper check for you youngsters.

In this case the woman was the person that went through the checks when they were presented to the bank. She would take her old check out send a new check through the system thus buying her another week to 10 days. Accounting wise, it would not show up.

Last edited:
So...if 1/2 the farmers are not is buying fertilizer at these prices this year....there should be an inventory surplus next year and prices will fall dramatically next year...your thoughts? anyone?
Not necessarily, you have to understand that it is not like the fertilizer will just be sitting there. If it is not available, it may be the same next year. It is supply and demand and there is not an endless supply.

Here was a case of a neighbor I spend several days in the court house representing the bank. The mother took the rap, but the daughter forged checks galore on step daddy and then shot the guy when he found out. I was reading this the other night and could not believe it was still on the net. Dang I am getting old.

I was reading this the other night and could not believe it was still on the net. Dang I am getting old.

They will be available to read forever, barring an apocalypse. By the way, Eddie Beckner (Judge Beckner) died two years ago and was one of the first victims of Covid in this area.

Here was a case of a neighbor I spend several days in the court house representing the bank. The mother took the rap, but the daughter forged checks galore on step daddy and then shot the guy when he found out. I was reading this the other night and could not believe it was still on the net. Dang I am getting old.

I remember that well also. Some of it was very odd. Like the fact that the stepdaughter supposedly wasn't there. The actual daughter was there. I never realized that their marriage wasn't legal? Why not?
Just a side note and hopefully not related to the case but the daughter married a man that became the sheriff in the adjoining County in Virginia where the mother came from.

I'm 45, generation X, still use paper checks or cash for personal things and business. I have 1 credit card that pays(keeps track) of fuel and is used where cash is no longer accepted. Our society ( globally) wants us to use computer tracked $ because it's easier for the powers to be to track us and use that info to target us with our smart phones. It won't be long before our old ways will be taken away so that we can become puppets for the few puppet masters! Until then I will feel the loss of $ better by using actual $ for my transactions. Wonder why 80% have credit card debt? Because the global economy breeds us into over indulging time and time again!
You use government issued cash? They're already controlling you. I only barter with beads, shells, and bone fragments.

Many years ago when i went in business for myself a man who also was self employed told me to never have my business acct. and my personal acct. at the same bank. He said sooner or later you will need to pay yourself one day and your business the next. Check 21 I believe is what the bill was called that changed that.

BB&T bank did a similar "kiting" thing with deposits to increase their interest and overdraft fees. Hands down the crookedest bank you could do business with.

So...if 1/2 the farmers are not is buying fertilizer at these prices this year....there should be an inventory surplus next year and prices will fall dramatically next year...your thoughts? anyone?
No
No
No.
- Distributors will have high priced inventory they cannot afford to write down. Some are requiring you to contract at a price for spring delivery.
- Producers will have high gross margins they want to protect. If they can make more money with a lower production level...
- Investors will have to wait several years for any new production to come online. This is kind of like the cattle cycle in the old days.

Latest posts