Bought bred Heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I work at a sale barn and bought a 550 lb. heifer who is bred. Vet said she was 8 months along, but I think she will calve sooner, she already has a fairly full udder and is real floppy in back and passing clear mucus. The calf is in the correct position according to vet. I have her a in pen by the house and am hoping to aviod a c-section! I have been around animals all my life, but this the smallest heifer I have ever tried to calve! Any advice? Ruth

[email protected]

Until she calves only feed her enough to maintain her, any more than that goes to the growth of the calf and will contribute to the size of the calves, I would say she is probably bred to her sire, and was probably left in too long with her dam, she could even be bred to a sibling, since she matured early, I will guess that so did her male siblings. Good luck, hopefully they select for calving ease as well as early maturing animals. You can contact the sale barn from which you purchased her, find out who sold her and learn more about the situtaion the heifer is in and what type of bull she might be bred to.

[email protected]

> I work at a sale barn and bought a
> 550 lb. heifer who is bred. Vet
> said she was 8 months along, but I
> think she will calve sooner, she
> already has a fairly full udder
> and is real floppy in back and
> passing clear mucus. The calf is
> in the correct position according
> to vet. I have her a in pen by the
> house and am hoping to aviod a
> c-section! I have been around
> animals all my life, but this the
> smallest heifer I have ever tried
> to calve! Any advice? Ruth

i have not had this happen to me personally , but i know alot of guys who have. some heifers breed just before they are weaned and calve at an early age. just keep an eye on her and be ready to assist, keep the vets number handy. i have seen some pretty small cows, is she exceptionally big bellied or pretty preportionate? good luck,

[email protected]

She is in fair condition flesh wise, but not fat. Wouldn't have bought her if she was fat! You can tell she's bred, but is not real big. Most of the guys who work the sale thought the boss and I were joking when we said she needed to be preg checked.

> i have not had this happen to me
> personally , but i know alot of
> guys who have. some heifers breed
> just before they are weaned and
> calve at an early age. just keep
> an eye on her and be ready to
> assist, keep the vets number
> handy. i have seen some pretty
> small cows, is she exceptionally
> big bellied or pretty
> preportionate? good luck,

[email protected]

Let's hope since the vet thought she was only 8 months along that she's really at term and is going to have a small calf. Our vet always thinks our Murray Greys are not as far along as they are because the fetuses are smaller than he's used to palpating. Good luck to you. Let us know how it goes.

> I work at a sale barn and bought a
> 550 lb. heifer who is bred. Vet
> said she was 8 months along, but I
> think she will calve sooner, she
> already has a fairly full udder
> and is real floppy in back and
> passing clear mucus. The calf is
> in the correct position according
> to vet. I have her a in pen by the
> house and am hoping to aviod a
> c-section! I have been around
> animals all my life, but this the
> smallest heifer I have ever tried
> to calve! Any advice? Ruth

> She is in fair condition flesh
> wise, but not fat. Wouldn't have
> bought her if she was fat! You can
> tell she's bred, but is not real
> big. Most of the guys who work the
> sale thought the boss and I were
> joking when we said she needed to
> be preg checked.

if she is not real big she may not have a large calf and with patience and some assistance be alright.

[email protected]

I bought a newborn black baldie bull calf a little over a year ago that had been born to a feedlot heifer -- little guy weighed 35 lbs at birth. I bought a little black heifer in the same situation in July, she weighed 30 lbs.

Even though they were both very tiny, both calves were apparently healthy. The little bull never did grow properly though. At 11 months of age he was 350 lbs. The heifer is doing fine. She's 7 months old and weighs 550 lbs.

Ann B

> if she is not real big she may not
> have a large calf and with
> patience and some assistance be
> alright.

[email protected]

Latest posts