Bought a Red Angus Bull!

Help Support CattleToday:

R. John Johnson

Reaction score
Last January I posted that I was looking for a red bull to run on some of my white Charolais cows. I bought a Red Angus yesterday. No pics yet, but I will post later. Here is a link to his pedigree.

http://abri.une.edu.au/online/cgi-bin/i ... 9=5D59595D

All you red Angus guys and gals out there tell me what you think of his bloodlines. I think he will give me some nice calves.

John

Is the bull homozygous red or does he have some black genes? If he's all red, most of the calves will be yellow with some reds and some whites. If he has black in his pedigree, throw in some black calves and some gray ones. Basically, the calves could be any solid color imaginable.

R. John Johnson":2irlpgvo said:
Last January I posted that I was looking for a red bull to run on some of my white Charolais cows. I bought a Red Angus yesterday. No pics yet, but I will post later. Here is a link to his pedigree.

http://abri.une.edu.au/online/cgi-bin/i ... 9=5D59595D

All you red Angus guys and gals out there tell me what you think of his bloodlines. I think he will give me some nice calves.

John

John
I think that if you bought him as a terminal sire on your char cows he will do great should throw good growthy calves. His EPD's for birth weight and calving ease are not good at all but on the char cows it should not be a problem. I don't think I would breed him to any heifers. I wouldn't expect a lot of red calves. I have 2 heifers that are 1/4 Char and white. They were bred to black bulls (Reg Angus) and still threw white calves. Good luck

Santas and Duhram Reds":2cvqv7jj said:
how could a red angus bull carry black genes

He could carry the genes, but they wouldn;t be the genes for color.

bigbull338":3u4wxexb said:
i was wondering what color the calves would be with a red angus on char cows.

Depending on the cows, they will likely be tan. They may vary in darkness from almost white, to almost red.

As for the black gene, there is NO way a red bull can carry the black gene. If he is red, he is Homozygous red.......

The red coloring in brangus and angus both are recesive genes......you could have a whole black herd for years and get only one red calf because one cow/bull had the recesive gene in him/her...... :D

TexasSimmentals":vznqu7ld said:
The red coloring in brangus and angus both are recesive genes......you could have a whole black herd for years and get only one red calf because one cow/bull had the recesive gene in him/her...... :D

Not quite. In order to get a red calf from two black parents, both sire and dam have to carry the red gene.

Latest posts