Bought a bull, sight unseen

Help Support CattleToday:

Still don't have his registration, but I did find out my little Wacker is a screamer. Cows migrated to the fence across the road, 2 of which were in standing heat, which segued into a lot of girl-on-girl Nat' Geo. The other bulls were glued to the fence, looking pitiful, while Tallywacker was completely out of his element. The noise he emitted doesn't qualify as a bellow; more like teenage not-out-of-the-cracked-voice stage. Also pitiful, and somewhat scary. WHT?? But his actions and visuals indicate he definitely has game.

10 more days, boys!

Yeah.....
I thought about hauling Big Sexy home this weekend. 🤔

Nope!
I'll just have to be patient. I know he's bored as heck over there with all them bred cows. He's got work to do, but not quite yet!

Got his registration yesterday. Not super high calving ease but my heifers overall average pelvic measurement is 163.75, which means they should theoretically have a 78+ lb. calf unassisted. Really like this bull! Any time I spray for flies, he just stands there, almost as if he's looking forward to sweet relief. He's kind of a stealth breeder because I've never seen him at work but based on the muddy hoof prints on my heifers, he's doing his job. All good!

My last bull was a stealth breeder for the most part. I was a little worried after I first got him because I wasn't seeing him do anything. Then one night I was coming up the driveway and I thought I saw something just off the drive a little bit so I hit the spotlight.

Sure enough he was standing there with a cow pretty much glued to her. They were both looking at me like they weren't doing anything. I told them not to get into too much trouble and went on my way. He got them all bred, even the holstein x angus that was what seemed to be 2-3 feet taller than him.

Nice looking bull in everyway. He has a little male pattern going on as he may need some Rogaine.

I like the looks of your young bull and I would use him on heifers with confidence. As a matter of fact, I wouldn't keep a heifer I thought might have trouble calving to the average Angus bull. I consider a calving ease (CE) EPD of 9 to be very good. It puts him in the top 30% of the Angus breed, and Angus are already considered a good choice for heifers. The reason he does not have more EPD numbers in his pedigree is because that was all the data turned into AAA for this animal by the breeder. When you look near the left hand bottom corner of that pedigree you see the notation "Phenotypic traits: CE, BW, WW, YW". Those are the traits for which data was turned into AAA. His EPD numbers are based on this information combined with the average EPD's of his parents. His Dad was a 10 for CE and his Mom a 2, so I believe he was a very small calf that arrived without help. He received an EPD estimate much closer to his Dad's CE than his Mom's.

If you would like to get numbers for all of his other traits and add a DNA based assessment for CE, you could send in a DNA sample and $37 to AAA to receive that information. I do this for all of my registered breeding animals. I find it fascinating to compare those numbers with my actual data. For the most part I would have to say the DNA based numbers and hard data will line up. There are always some outliers of course, usually in the older pedigrees. I suppose there was never enough DNA collected on these animals so that correct connections between the DNA and physical traits could be traced. Your animal has a modern pedigree, so I think the DNA analysis would be quite accurate for many traits. In my opinion, some of the newer EPD's still need more data turned in, and I never really trust an EPD, like docility or feet, that are based on peoples opinions. At least not until the data has a high degree of accuracy and is based on data submissions from multiple parties not affiliated with the bulls ownership.

You may also notice below the Phenotypic traits that there are some more numbers. They tell you dates transferred and AAA ID numbers for all of the owners of the bull since his registration. For example he was first registered in your name on May 16 of 2022.

Another thought.
I notice that your bulls sire has earned the CAB logo on his pedigree and his dam would have likely qualified too if she had more EPD accuracy. I bet getting him tested would earn him that logo too. If you get him tested, I'd enjoy seeing the results.

Latest posts