Bottle Jaw Causes

Help Support CattleToday:

angus9259

Reaction score
Some of my cows seem to get bottle jaw as winter comes and they go on hay. Same hay they pasture during the year. Free choice mineral. Wormed twice a year (I understand it's frequently a worming issue). Fecal's are negative for parasites. Any other thoughts?

I have heard, though I don't know and have never dealt with it, that sometimes (especially if the hay is harvested too mature), that the seed in the hay will embed and create that issue. Maybe someone in the know will confirm or dispute that, and I can learn too.

angus9259":2gtjgj78 said:
Some of my cows seem to get bottle jaw as winter comes and they go on hay. Same hay they pasture during the year. Free choice mineral. Wormed twice a year (I understand it's frequently a worming issue). Fecal's are negative for parasites. Any other thoughts?

"The most important worm parasites reside in the stomach and intestine. They are nematodes and belong to a family called trichostrongyles. Throughout the U.S., and especially in the mid Atlantic and southern states, the most important member of this family is the barber pole worm (Haemonchus contortus). The barber pole worm is a bloodsucking parasite that causes anemia, leading to poor performance and frequently death. Bottle jaw is a result of H. contortus infection, but unlike other parasites H. contortus does not usually cause diarrhea." - Virginia Cooperative Extension

Does the parasite control you use elimiate the barber pole worm?

Bottle Jaw is also a symptom of Johnes' Disease.

I would take at least one the cows, that display that symptom, to the vet and have it checked out as it could effect your whole herd.

Thanks. I'll check online - I use Ivomec injectible and pour on.

I wonder . . . wouldn't that parasite show up in a fecal exam? Fecal's were clean.

i'm having a similar problem but mine is from worms. affecting both cows and calves. ivomec just doesnt seem to cut it for me anymore. yes, i would think parasites should show up in fecal unless its something like flukes which will cause bottle jaw and i hear is harder to find in fecal samples.

i think other causes of bottle jaw include leukemia and protein deficiency and johnes etc.

then you have other things that look similar like lumpy jaw and abcesses in the teeth and gums and stuff.

angus9259":zbnv4gfh said:
Thanks. I'll check online - I use Ivomec injectible and pour on.

I wonder . . . wouldn't that parasite show up in a fecal exam? Fecal's were clean.

Liver Fukes maybe????
"Infection by the common liver fluke, fasciolosis, can present in three forms:
Chronic, which is often fatal in sheep, but rarely in cattle which can develop resistance. Acute, which must be differentiated from "black disease," an infectious necrotic hepatitis caused by toxins produced by Clostridium novyi, type B. Signs of chronic fasciolosis include: anemia, edema about the lower jaw (bottle jaw), decreased market weights, and unthriftiness. (Dairy cattle experience decreased milk production.)"

"Keep in mind that a routine fecal exam won't pick up liver flukes; your vet will probably need to send a specimen to a lab for special analysis."

"Parasite Type
Lungworms and liver flukes do not produce eggs that are detectable with routine fecal flotations."

"Ivermectin is a macrocyclic lactone anthelmintic belonging to the class of avermectins. It has a potent and broad anti-parasitic spectrum at lower dose levels. It facilitates the release of GABA (gamma amino butyric acid) an inhibitory neurotransmitter. This in turn causes the paralysis and death of immature and mature nematodes, as well as arthropods, however, ivermectin is not effective against liver flukes or tapeworms since they are not users of GABA. "

Angus9259 - while Ivermectin won't nail Liver Flukes, Ivormec Plus will kill adult Liver Flukes as will Valbazon (Caution: Do not administer to female cattle during first 45 days of pregnancy or for 45 days after removal of bulls. Do not use in female cattle of breeding age).

Don't forget the possibility of Johnes Disease too.

I'm wondering about the protein deficiency now since the cattle were fine till they went on hay and a number of them are getting all at once. The cattle are on just grass hay - no supplement. Any other thoughts on protein deficiency?

Beefy":gyc4jxij said:
is the hay of poor quality? overly mature or drought stressed?

It'd probably be considered overly mature. The cattle are not losing BCS on it alone w/o supplement . . . they aren't thin.

There's a type of worm that can cause bottle jaw called Ostertagia. It is similar to small strongyles (cyathostomes) in horses. It may cause two different types of disease. Type II occurs typically in cattle over 1 year of age- and in the south, during late summer, practically into September is when you will see signs of this disease.. diarrhea, bottle jaw, dehydration, decreased appetite, etc..

What happens is this: The cattle ingest the eggs which develop into larvae. Somehow through some sort of biological cues these larvae know that it's not the right time of year to deposit their eggs (the heat and usual dryness of summer really gets to the eggs and kills them..) so they embed themselves in the abomasum and wait until they get signals that weather is getting 'better' for survival of their eggs. THEN they all come out at once and finish development and THEN will start producing eggs. Just because you don't see eggs in the feces doesn't mean the cattle don't have worms, it just means that if there ARE worms they aren't producing anything.

I'm not a veterinarian (yet) but I stumbled across this site while I was working on something for my parasitology class and just thought I'd throw that in.. not saying it's the cause but it's worth considering.

I *think* ivermectin should be effective against Ostertagia as well as Haemonchus which can cause bottle jaw also (but it doesn't embed itself in the stomach like Ostertagia and come out all at once).. but you have to hit them with it at the right time.. might want to find a vet or someone and ask them..

angus9259":2yhot9xp said:

Johnes will cause bottle jaw as will protein deficiencies.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":2yhbivng said:
And Johnes comes & goes (symptoms) depending on stress levels.

THat is correct. Some seem to get better for a while but they all eventually take a turn for the worse.

If I were you I would try to get some iron in them, either by injection, or by some type of molasses supplement. That will help with the anemia. You may also want to add some vitamin supplements to their water. Just like in humans, vitamins help fight infections and disease.

The protein tubs seem to have done the job for now. Thanks for the suggestion. I do put out an all purpose AD&E mineral too.

Latest posts