BOTTLE FEEDING

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I HAVE A ONE WEEK OLD WATUSI CALF, I WAS TOLD THAT SHE HAD ALREADY BEEN STARTED ON THE BOTTLE WHEN I GOT HER, BUT I'VE HAD HER FOR 4 DAYS NOW AND SHE WILL NOT TAKE THE BOTTLE. SHE WILL EAT ALITTLE HAY AND CALF MANNA BUT I HAVE TO FORCE FEED HER THE MILK. ANY SUGGESTIONS ON HOW I CAN GET HER TO TAKE THE BOTTLE?

[email protected]

> I HAVE A ONE WEEK OLD WATUSI CALF,
> I WAS TOLD THAT SHE HAD ALREADY
> BEEN STARTED ON THE BOTTLE WHEN I
> GOT HER, BUT I'VE HAD HER FOR 4
> DAYS NOW AND SHE WILL NOT TAKE THE
> BOTTLE. SHE WILL EAT ALITTLE HAY
> AND CALF MANNA BUT I HAVE TO FORCE
> FEED HER THE MILK. ANY SUGGESTIONS
> ON HOW I CAN GET HER TO TAKE THE
> BOTTLE? On one of the boards I recently saw a tip that may be of help. It was to put some syrup or honey on the nipple. I've been having to bottle feed a calf myself. He showed little interest in the bottle even when it was filled with Mom's milk. I tried some milk replacer to see if he would like that better. No improvement. Then I decided to try my own formula - 1 can evaportated milk with equal parts very warm water. To this I added about 1/2 cup Karo syrup. Since the bottle didn't appear to have enough (if I could make him take it), I added regular store bought homogenized milk. I had to pry his mouth open and squeeze some of the milk mixture into it. Once he got the taste, he sucked so hard that he almost caved in the sides. Ha! It was a relief to see him eat. Don't know if this will help you or not but sure hope so. Good Luck. Oh, by the way, I haven't seen any potty problems with the milk formula maybe being too rich so far.

[email protected]

I would personnaly be careful mixing up your own mixture. Calf milk replacer has all the right nutrients a calf needs. Maybe its the nipple? anyhow, what works for me, is to straddle the calf, pry her mouth open and stick the nipple in her mouth. take your free hand and squeeze her jaw gently up and down to get her to start sucking. This usually works. Otherwise, your calf must be getting very weak, and may not make it. IF need be, tube it. Call a vet if you must. Dont let it starve. Good Luck!

[email protected]

> MY CALF STARTED TAKING THE BOTTLE THIS MORNING, I'M NOT SURE WHAT GOT HER STARTED BUT SHE IS EATING LIKE A PIG. THANK YOU TO THOSE OF YOU WHO TOOK THE TIME TO GIVE ME YOUR ADVICE, IT WAS NICE TO HAVE YOUR IDEAS ON HOW TO FEED HER. I THINK IN THE END HUNGER WON THANKS AGAIN JULIE

[email protected]

Latest posts